Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First Aid kit

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by teamhickman, Jan 8, 2005.

1. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

Well, i'm working on cleaning up and organizing my first aid kit and I was curious to see what, if anything you guy's are keeping in your kits?

I've got the normal stuff, snake bite, tourniqute, bandages, bandaids, peroxide, tape ect.

Anyone carrying anything of interest?

Also, I remember seeing a post about an information card....taped to the inside of the glove box? Sounds like a great idea, what info other than normal emergency contact info does it have on it?

Andrew

2. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Here are some of the "ODD" items I carry in mine.

• Burn cream over the counter. Lot's of burns around the "Green Beans"
    • Eye wash/drops
    • Small flashlite only for the kit
    • 1 MRE
    • Cold packs/hot packs
    • Over the counter tube of neosporin
    • Man's hair comb, for removal of Chola Cactus
    • Insect bit by the tube, for Chola Catucs pain relief
    • Sucture Kit, yes I mean a sucture kit, got it from a medical supply house
    • Assorted sewing needles and dental floss, makeshift sucture kit.
    • Migrane medice for myself, don't leave home without it.
    • Epi Pen, for son and anyone else that has hard allergic reactions to bee stings or other things.
    • Military fire starting tablets, they use it to heat there MRE, they are very easy to start fires with.
    • Some good candy, when the kids get the Chola in them, they cry like hell when it's removed. The candy is to help the forget the pain associated with the removal.
    I know some odd items, but it works for me, a little bigger than most but it's mostly covered.

Rob

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

medical gloves and device to protect yourself when giving CPR........

4. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

I like the idea of a comb and candy for the cholla issues. In addition to the above mentioned i have tweezers, lighter, scissors, forcepts, pain killers including some left-over vicadin and ant bite ointment. I think everything in Arizona is either sharp or poisonous.:D

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Mine is bigger than most, because I am an EMT. I carry an IV set-up, BP cuff, burn blanket, c-collars, gloves, bag-valve-mask (for ventilation without mouth to mouth) and a couple of piece of 1/4 inch plexiglass 14x3 (great splints!). I'm still looking for a way to carry a scoop stretcher, but space is limited so right now I dont. Probably a bit much, ut I've seen and heard of some nasty accidents on the trail...

6. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

Good ideas

Great Info....:thumb:

I see a lot of things I hadn't considered. I guess it's time to go shopping!

I love this statement:

"I think everything in Arizona is either sharp or poisonous.:D"

It reminds me of John Wayne saying " Everything out here will bite ya, stick ya or sting ya"

Any comments on the "Contact/Information" card?

Thanks and please let me know if you think of anything else,

Andrew :waytogo:

7. firefighter184

On the contact/info card, I just wedge it up on the dash between my CB and the windshield. Things I have on it:

Name
    D.O.B.
    Blood Type
    Allergies (non here, but if you have them...)
    pre-existing medical conditions (high B.P., seizures, etc)
    medications currently using (beer does not count and might get you in trouble)
    emergency contact info

That's what I have on mine, anybody else have something to add?

8. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Name of your doctor...........
    Just goin off our EMS forms
    .......and why do you carry an IV kit? Could be liable for a malpractice suit if ya stick someone with an IV only being an EMT and all :screwy: Also what county are you licensed in? If you do this outside your county licensed are you won't be covered by it or by the "Good Samaritan Act." This would result in loss of your license and carrier. If I remeber correctly if you are caught with an IV kit and not a paramedic 1 you can be charged with theft. 2 It is a felony. 3 Be charged with the "intent" of practicing out of your scope of practice.........

9. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've always caried a IV kit, in my aid bag. I guess its a carry over from being an CLS in the Army and working with SF medics. Even when I was active duty I had almost everything the 18D's SF guys carried. Had to keep my gear rediliy available for quick recall times. I dont ever remember being told I might be legally charged for possessing it.:screwy: I do remember being told you could be sued for just about anything so my kit is mainly for myself and my family's well being.

Z:k5:

10. firefighter184

I'm an EMT-IV, National Registry, so I can practice anywhere. Besides, the IV set-up is mostly for my friends and family and the occasional hangover therapy. We don't license by county here, just a state cert.

11. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

aaaahhhh that makes much more sense now. In California we have had a run of medic students that have failed out of medic school and will show up on TC's start IV's and then leave. That is a deffinate malpractice suit........

12. firefighter184

Kinda like the guys who fail out of fire academy, buy gear on e-bay and show up at various scenes? We had a problem here in CO where a guy actually bought extrication equipment (JAWS and cutters) and was showing up on TC's before FD units arrived and would be cutting away when the FD got there. Dumbasses are everywhere! Watch out!