Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First Chevy......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by countryliving, Dec 22, 2003.

1. countryliving

countryliving Newbie

Hey guys/gals, I'm kind of new (purchasing wise) to the Chevy scene so I need some help. I found a '78 Chevy for sale for 1,500 bucks, supposed to call the guy today and see if they're is anything wrong with it. If all's good and he says theres not much wrong with it imma go and check it out....but I was wondering before I do take a look, do the Chevys have any common problem areas? Like areas prone to rust, parts breaking, common mechanical problems that kind of thing. I know to look at the frame, body mounts, and over all body, but are they're any hidden areas you might not see just looking at the truck that may have rust? Like I said I'm new to purchasing a Chevy, so bear with me, Thanks fellas /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Check frame around and behind steering box. They crack there. Far as rust go's check floor boards by rocker panels.

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Well first I would pull up the carpet, then take it for a ride, if the steering feels real tight, firm and responsive that usually tells me alot about the truck, also look at the engine bay, is it clean? Or is there gobs and years of muck covering unserviced parts? Honestly your best bet 'in my opinion" would be to pick up a used goverment or fleet vehicle that has had a service schedule and regular maintaince. It may even be close in price, also for another thousand bucks it may be well worth it considering that this new one could nickle and dime ya "motor, tranny ect" and may be in poor shape with things you cant even see.

I would suggest becoming a member and posting in the wanted section on here, well worth 25 bucks to find a chevy that was owned by a car buff who likly took care of his truck too.

Plus if some one is selling a older truck for cheap usually tells me they didn't take care of it or have a lack of interest meaning less time spent servicing it. I feel different about most people on hear though as we are car buffs and would probably sell a truck for money to dump in our other old chevy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

fill out your profile so we can know where it is you're at and looking at vehicles ie: rust belt, etc.. 1500 isnt a bad price for a 78 in decent shape.. i paid 1200 for my 86 in decent shape..

5. countryliving

countryliving Newbie

I'm in Harrisonburg, VA. Not much problem with rust, unless completely uncared for. Thanks for ya'lls input, its greatly appreciated.

6. countryliving

countryliving Newbie

bump, any other suggestions?