Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First complete engine build woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Aug 14, 2005.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Dec 28, 2001
    Droped the crank in, great, spins great, clearances all ok. Went to install no.1 piston, very tight side clearance, barley rotatable after installtion. Pulled it out, and I found a little extra casting flash (my friend affectionaly called it a "tit", I said a tit should be something good, this is bad, more like a hemroid) on the inside edge of the piston facing the connection rod hole, immediatly around the wrist pin, on one side. So when you rotate the rod on the pin, it wants to ride up on the tit/hemroid pushing it fore/afte in the bore. After whining about how my machine shop who put the pistons on the rods, should have caught this, we decided to switch out no. 1 and no. 2 because of the way the tit is and the way the rods ride on the pins (usally closer to one edge than the other), installing this way privded clearance for the tit, about .007, which is the same as the side clearance for the rods, so I think it's ok, rotates great now.
    Engine specs: crank polished, not ground, all new bearings, orig. rods, new pistons/wrist pins, block bored .030 over, 4.3L 262 engine. I checked crank journals myself, all within clearance, all rods have proper clearance, rotates smoothly. Am I being paranoid, or is this ok?

What do you think? SHould I pull that piston assembly and get a new piston?
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2005