Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First day impressions....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryoken, Apr 3, 2006.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, started my new job today at the new marina...

Seems cool.. Apparently they really need me on the mechanical end of things as opposed to glass/gel work, etc... Which is ok, I don't mind.. I'd like to be fully utilized, but whatever they need is ok..

They where talking about sending me to Fla in Aug for Mercruiser school so I can finally go get certified after all these years... Should be learning all the software/laptop stuff for the EFI's when I go, so I should be pretty fluent in potential K5 swap issues.. If I haven't picked it up before I go..

I feel bad about my toolbox situation. Out of some 15 odd buildings, the mechanic shop is not huge and already has 4 guys in there with boxes and all the typical spring clutter too.. Not a ton of room and my box will take up valuable space, but I'm sure we'll work something out.. Kinda funny, my box is too big... :doah: :haha:

The biggest issue for me will be learning everyones name! There's over 20 guys there and I'm bad with names.. It's definitely a big outfit... I think I like that, just another mechanic. As opposed to Bluewater where it was basically me and Dave, with all responsibility falling on my shoulders..

The best part or worse on how you look at it is that they have mandatory 54 hr weeks from now till July 4, then again in the fall.. But thats cool, I need the cash and am SOOOOOOOOOOO psyched to get time and a half for my OT.. Because it's been over 15 yrs since I got that.. :mad: Not to mention all the killer other bennys they have...

2. gauder

gauder Banned

Sounds like a cool outfit. You'd think they'd be busy in the summer too though with repairs. IDK much about boats though, I'm a bit of a land-lubber.

3. ryoken

It's pretty common for marinas to somewhat slow down in July and August... Everythings fixed and in the water.. Obviously things happen and people break, but that is all very containable.. As opposed to the madhouse of getting prelaunch projects done and boats launched..

Obviously its all perspective, we used to enjoy the slowdown, but could certainly drum up tons of work if we wanted.. Call customers, get em going on some projects.. Its a self induced slowdown most of the time..

4. gauder

gauder Banned

Do you guys prep boats for winter storage in the fall too?

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Do you know anything aboot early 90's Merc outboards ?:whistle:

6. ryoken

Oh, yeah.. Fall is just as crazy as spring... From Labor Day thru X-mas.. Looks like I may be doing mostly winterizing, but they may wanna take advantage of my shrinkwrap capabilities.. We'll see, their current shrinker isn't very good from what I have seen.. Lot of shrinks that have come apart over the winter...

I pride myself on my stuff not failing.. Shrink is definitely more physically demanding than winterizing tho...

Some from years gone by..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ryoken

Some... But honestly, outboards haven't been my thing... I work on mostly 30 to 60' Sportfishes and Express Cruiser stuff.. Lotta inboards and IO's..

I know basic maintence stuff and could walk myself thru a powerhead, etc, but don't have a ton of experience with em.. I, of course, have access to people and all Merc literature to figure anything out tho...

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a cool gig where you can make a few $$ and fly under the radar for a while instead of having to do everything.

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I need to get a manual for it and go from there, otherwise I'll need to open my wallet...
    Ya know what boat stands for ? Break out another thousand..:D

10. ryoken

haha, why do you think I stick to my little 13' freshwater bassboat... Saltwater is just a larger hole to throw money in...

This place is pricey, haven't found out the labor rate yet, but I had heard rumors they where at a $110.. Whereas Bluewater was at 80...

And yeah, let me know if I can help in anyway... I definately have a good line on any parts you may need, etc..

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Glad for ya man!!! :bow:
    Sounds like you earned it and deserve it! :deal:

Congratulations! :thumb:

12. ryoken

Thanks brother.... :waytogo:

Got the "kicking myself in the arse" feeling for not having done it sooner..

My mom just got home from her lifelong dream trip to Italy yesterday and called me tonight.. She was crying on the phone because she was so thrilled... She knows how hard I've worked over the years and really wasn't getting anywhere..

I guess my greed, ambition level has never been the highest.. I've always been very blind to people taking advantage of my hardwork.. I'm just one of those guys that takes alot of pride in his work and will kill himself for you and just hoped someone, someday would appreciate it.. Hopefully this will be the place..

13. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

It looks like they are gonna run ya ragged with work, but from the sounds of it, you'll be well compentsated.

I've never had a job where I felt like I was getting back what I put in. One day...

Congrats man!

14. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congratulations man, sounds like you're much happier now!

15. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

good for you brother.:waytogo: i hope it works out great for you. money money money.:laugh:

16. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks...

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Congrats ryoken! Hope things go well for ya at your new Marina. I kinda envy you. I sure miss being around the water and boats all day.

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Nice, sounds like a good deal! Congrats. You're in a nice area, too, getting out of work at night during the summer there must be saweet!

19. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

yo ryoken, ya know how to repack the shafts on Inboard prop shafts?

i need to do that on the 1955 chriscraft and the 1992 supra, i looked into it but not much help on what i was looking at, i just dont want to buy a book for that

20. ryoken

Well, the biggest issue is what kind of shaft log it has.. Honestly, I really have no idea what it would be... A pic would help..

I'll assume it's a standard flax packing bronze shaft log... Ya pull the packing retainer, packing nut, or whatever keeps the packing in.. Then you need to take the packing rings out... They make a packing extractor tool that is a million times better than any other method.. invaluable...

[​IMG]

Corkscrew it in and pull out the rings one at a time.. once empty.. cut new rings.. packing could be, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, etc... Graphite impregnated GFO packing is the latest wonder product, worth the cost over standard wax packing.. install new rings, alternating the cut mark 90 degrees on every install... tigthen retainer, nut, etc..

you don't want it too tight or you'll cook the shaft.. heck, probably bronze shafts in that.. usually, we'll snug em down till it splashes then final adjust.. if your good you can do em in the water..

you usually want a drip of water every 30 seconds or so to ensure proper lube. but you can get to not drip, just have to watch the overheat condition.. run it, then go down and check log temp with your hand...

tons more to shaft logs... if you need more help give me a shout.. gotta fly out the door now for day 2.. :D