Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First design / Second design ***Brake Line Question***

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nofeartruckin00, Nov 20, 2002.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Truck is a '91 GMC Jimmy, and the axles are from a '73 3/4 ton suburban. I know the springs are the same between the two (52"), and the spring eyes should be the same size. But i'm not sure about the steering arm. Because i will need the u-bolts for the D44 and 14 Bolt FF, would I be safe when ordering the lift kit to tell them that i have a '73 3/4 ton burb? Not worried if the brake brackets will work or not, because i will use extended lines. Anyone know if the arm is the same between the two, or if anything else would not work this way? Thanks!

Oh yeah, would I order the extend lines for the '73 too?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: First design / Second design axle question

Tell them you want the u-bolts to fit the '73 because the D44 tubes are smaller than the '91 tubes.

Steering arms are all the same, '73-'91.

The extended lines need to be ordered to fit the '91 because the fitting on the hose is different at the frame rail than the '73.
    You should also reuse the stock '91 front calipers so you won't have to mess with the banjo bolts. Easier to order the '91 brake lines and have them fit the '91 calipers which will work easily on the '73 D44.

3. nofeartruckin00

Re: First design / Second design axle question

Thanks. So i still use the D44 rotors on the axle, but replace the calipers with the onces off the old 10 bolt? I'll have to see what the differance between the two is. When i swapped to 3/4 ton (I didnt do the swapping), i don't remember anything different between the 10 bolt fittings and D44 fittings, i thought they were bolted up. I didn't buy different lines or fittings for it to work. I believe the front hoses were reused off the old 10 bolt stuff. Now I'm kinda lost. So The '91 lines will fit at the frame rail connection, but will be different at the caliper because 10 bolt and D44 caliper connections are different?

4. nofeartruckin00

I confused my self with that post, sorry. So basically, can a 10 bolt brake line be run to a D44 caliper?

Or are banjo bolts not the best, and I should look more into the caliper swap?

Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

what he meant was you can use your 10 bolt caliper because they bolt up the same and the rotors have the same thickness as a 44's

6. nofeartruckin00

Ahh, i see, thanks. So the 10 bolt calipers would just be a bolt on deal. But i'm still wondering if there is a difference between the brake lines on a D44 and 10B.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

IIRC, the difference is between the years. older models have the infamous, evil banjo bolt. older models do not.

8. nofeartruckin00

Looks like i'll swap calipers then. Thanks everyone! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

im pretty sure the brake line itself is the same but the banjo bolt that holds the hose to the caliper is different.the size is bigger on the 44 caliper i believe.but you dont have to change the caliper because they both run the same size mounting.the caliper shape is just a little different.