Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

first diesel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by bigfancyname, Feb 11, 2006.

1. bigfancyname

bigfancyname Registered Member

I just bought a new (to me) 84 diesel 3/4 ton burb today. It has a GM Goodwrench 6.5 swaped in with a Banks Sidwinderkit in place of the 6.2. IT has more body rust than i wanted (under body moldings and around some door handles, bottoms of doors, windowseals, but comparable for year I think). Payed 3200 for it runs great as far as i can tell and he will be delivering it to me monday or tuesday. The only thing i feel weird about is that I thought I should hear or feel a good pull from the turbo kit and didnt really feel it (didnt put my foot into it too hard either) but it still pulled good enugh for me for now. I decided not to ask about it if it was malfunctioning because he didnt really want to sell it and if it could pull better with a easyish fix he might just keep it so I took a chance. My question is should I hear it and feel it kick in or does it ramp up so smoothly that i really wont notice it. Should i not worry about it and just enjoy it or is there anyone in my area that knows about this and will take the time to glance at it for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sory about the long post..excited for my first Diesel, especially being a burb

2. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

Well congrats on your new diesel ...No...a Banks turbo on a 6.5 isn't a dragster... You won't notice the difference unless you drive an non-turbo in the same vehicle. The Banks brings accelleration performance up to where a small block gas V8 would normally be. Knocks maybe three seconds off your 0-60 time. If you want to know its working...look at the boost guage...which you should already have..or if you don't...you should go get..

3. bigfancyname

Thnx for the advice guys. I didnt notice a boost guage while I was driving it(I was thinking one should be there). How much is a boost guage and how hard is it to install, should I leave that up to a professional or try it my self. Do you guys think by the sounds of it it was a good deal. Thnx again for all your help.

4. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

A boost guage is not hard to install. JC Whitney sell em about as cheap as possible. The other thing you should get is an exhaust temp guage, aka a pyrometer. Don't skimp on quality there. It sounds like your dashboard is stock...and in 84 a turbo is definately an add on. Most people who run a turbo have at least two extra guages added, 1) boost, and 2) exhaust temp. You want to keep an eye on exhaust temp when you are pulling a load, try to stay under 1200 or so to keep from overstressing piston tops and valves. The 6.2 L engine in stock form wasn't designed to run a turbo with out paying attention to these parameters.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What are you looking for out of the turbo? Do you have turbo diesel experience? Are you comparing it to a newer truck?

If you are comparing it to the snappyness of a gasser. A turbo has turbo lag. The turbo has to speed up to make the boost. This feels like there isn't much power at first but in 2-3second period it gains power as the turbo spools faster and creates more boost until it's reached full speed and boost after that 2-3second period. It does feel kind of gradual, not snappy like a gas engine with no turbo.

Another thing is that motor probably doesn't make much boost. I think it's compression is higher than the later diesels so it doesn't develop as much boost and doesn't have the hard pull that the Dmax would as it spools.

6. bigfancyname

Thnx for the replys. It has a 6.5 in it and now that Ive got a chance to drive it I am feeling the turbo more. It has a pyro guage that moves so I hope its working properly. I havent seen it get above 9 so far but I also havent towed with it yet, been sinking money into it trying to get it running reliably. I had it for a week and blew a front rubber brake line, put new tires on it, put two new batteries and a new alternator in it(it had the original 78 amper from the 6.2 not the later 105, want to find one and new brackets if I need them and change that eventually). The boost guage is going to have to wait a bit since Im running out of funds but will be one of the next things hopefully if nothing else goes out. Its going to be slow progress monies tight, I hope its worth it, but im haveing fun with it so far. Thnx again for the replies and advice will be reading and watching for ideas. Hopefully will be doing more to it it in the future when money and time permit.

7. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    I also "had" a 86 Burb w/Banks. Blew something a month ago.
    If you take off the air cleaner cover for a short ride, you'll hear the whistle. But put it back on, diesels run a full throttle, and suck in alot of anything. Make sure the filter is clean. It should have a K&N triangle unit. If you can't see through it when put up to light, by the K&N cleaner/oil kit. Not cheap, but it'll clean any grime.
    I noticed the boost the most when backing up a long driveway. All of a sudden it would start to "pull" like I had just kicked in the afterburner!
    But sadly, it's parked now, and relegated to the scrap heap, as it's rustier than hell. Now I'm driving an '87 Burb, normally asp 6.2. Miss the Banks, really worked going up hills.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Why not put the banks kit on the new truck? Shouldn't be hard to do.

9. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    "Nothing" is too hard, I don't even have the time to repair small things on the truck. I work every day until 9-10PM. but I just laid off 4 of 5 employees, so I can catch up on things...