Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First engine install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jerry303, Feb 1, 2004.

1. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

Apr 28, 2003
    I will be doing my first engine install by myself within the next week or so, and I was looking for some help. The engine is a 350 Goodwrench that was purchased in Nov and has just sat in my garage awaiting a clean frame to go on... This is my first carberuated engine, and also my first solo engine install. Are there any guides out there of what I need to do, from everything to fuel, carb setup, what do i use to run the oil pump before starting, radiator hose setup, any info that would make the proccess easier is appreciated.

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Sep 27, 2002

first I would rent or barrow a quality engin hoist

then go about getting every thing laid out neatly so you can find it, know where your tools are and stay organized!

A engin puller chain is a big help, buy or barrow one from autozone, checker or what ever, fumbling with a chain and bolts is not fun and adds aggrivation.

also, don't try to install the motor with the headers on, just makes things less fun.

If you are reusing bolts...get a box of ziplock baggies, keep the things organized!

make a list of EVERYTHING before you start, having to run to a parts store 5 times gets old quick,

header gaskets
    carb gaskets
    various clamps
    filter for gas
    collector gaskets
    radiator upper lower hose
    heater hose
    new belts
    2 gal's of coolant, buy 50/50 mix to save hassle "only $4"
    5 quarts oil
    oil filter
    tranny while your at it
    new collector bolts, to "make it easy"
    spark plugs...install once motor is in

get a floor jack ready with a block to help with getting the motor mount bolts lined up, and loosin the 2 bolts on the tranny x-member "allows for you to pivit it to help with motor install"

plastic gloves and real gloves or shop rags ready "saves time by not looking around"

-scissors...if you need to cut hose

if your truck is lifted high, letting air from tires can give you alot of help with the engin puller. Also if available or easy remove the inner fender wells.

* some people have ruined a radiater by a motor hitting it, place a board or some thing to prevent this!

also watch the rotor cap so you dont smack it hard on the fire wall!

- hook starter wires up befor you do the headers! they can complicate things some times!

thats all I can think of, any other questions just ask!
  3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Aug 11, 2002
    You herd it from the person with probly the most motor swap experence on here!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
  4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Oct 31, 2002
    Thats a lot of good advice right there!

**favorite thread toggled**

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Aug 28, 2002
    You herd it from the person with probly the most motor swap experence on here!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif He's only done it a half dozen times at least. Good advise though!
    I would like to add that getting a friend to help is important.