Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

first gear only

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dragonmike65, Apr 22, 2007.

1. dragonmike65

dragonmike65 Newbie

:confused: I have a recently purchased K5. The transmision is a 700R4. Will shift into forward and reverse but wont go out of first gear. any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I did check the fluid level was good color was red and didn';t smell burnt.

2. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

$10 sais that the governer valve is stuck or bad... could be more things, but id start there.. its the cover on the back of the trans with the spring wire holding it on, take a screwdriver or prybar and slowly pry it off,, take the governer out and hold it up by the gear and move the weights in and out, if the little valve inside doesnt move, theres your problem.. if it moves, put it all back together and let us know.. nate

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Im with nate....check the shift governor. There is a little round metal cap on the drivers side of the tranny...kind of near the front and near the top of the bellhousing. Use a screwdriver to pry the cover off and pull out the governor...then do as nate said. Also...there is a little plastic gear on the end...if any of the teeth are stripped or messed up it will cause you problem too.
    -Harrison

4. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

On the 700's I have seen it is the cap at the drivers side rear of the trans. The one closest to the bellhousing on the passenger side was the valve solenoid, which has multiple valves for shifting from 2 through 4. Since I haven't seen every version I may be wrong on this, but that valve solenoid had no plastic gear, and the governor on the back did, and that governor cap had no spring clip while the valve solenoid did.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

You may be right. Its been a while since I had to mess with mine. I just thought it was at the front. I could be mistaken though. Just look for a round metal cap and thats it.
    -Harrison

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The governor cap is on the drivers side rear on A 700R4 Just above the crossmember. No clip holding it in.. Easy fix. just pry off cap and pull out the governor. The gear is most likely stripped. Cheap fix. Gears are only 5 bucks. The whole assembly is usually around 20.00

7. dragonmike65

dragonmike65 Newbie

thank you all for the info. It is kinda putting the cart before the horse. Moving it home I dropped a valve in the engine and messed up the head. I did however pull the governor the gear was fine and the pin holding it in is in place. have a new governor on order. but won't be able to check it out until I get the engine fixed. Once again Thank You. :bow: