Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First gen air conditioning

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bp71k5, Oct 20, 2006.

1. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hi there,

Did 69-72 k5's come with air conditioning stock? My dash is kinda cutup and I was thinking of adding AC when I replace the dash. LMC has some gaskets for and other items for them, but I'm not sure if it was just the C10 trucks or everything. Thanks.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Some did......the giveaway is the eyball mounts in the dash near the window crank area.

You could also pursue a VintageAir retrofit kit. No matter what you do, it's going to be $$$$.

3. bp71k5

Thanks for the $tip$. :)

Yea. I was figuring on it being expensive. There's a chevy parts place guy that has all kinds of that kinda of stuff. I'm going to price it out with him first to get all the ducts and all that before deciding to do it or not. I figure if I'm replacing the dash, I might as well... you know how it goes. If i do I'll post some pics.

4. Greg72

Are you talking about Bill O'Grady at Vintage Chevy in Fremont????

Be careful....

He definitely charges a premium for his parts, and they are not always as "nice" as he claims. I paid pretty big $$$ for a correct BBC power steering pump and bracket setup that turned out to be bent and broken when I went to install it.

Make sure you know what you're looking at and inspect everything carefully.... he tends to think everything he has is made of gold, so it's hard to get "deals" there. He is/was always a last resort for my shopping needs.

5. scasey28

scasey28 1/2 ton status

there is also chevy land parts out of rancho cordova. I just ordered a new hood for my 72 blazer through them. The part looks good, and they shipped it out the next day. Heres a link for them, not to sure if they carry any AC parts but its worth a shot.

http://www.supermuscleparts.com/

-scott

6. bp71k5

Yea, that's the place. I try to buy new stuff when I can, but when they don't make it anymore, I go to his place. Prices seemed to be about what I expected compared to LMC. I did get some nice seat covers for less than what LMC was charging. Most of the used mechanical parts I've bought cost about what I expected, considering condition and I don't have to dig around for them. Thanks for the tip though, I'll make sure I check around on prices before deciding. The AC thing is looking like more of a dream at this point since I'm not sure the motor is up to the task of running AC. I may wait till I get a 350 back in there to look into it more.

7. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    air conditioning? take the top off. :D

8. Greg72

Running the A/C with the top off is the ultimate in wasteful luxury!! :wink1:

Keep your ankles cool, whilst enjoying the sun on your face..... I did that with my rental Rubicon in Moab on the trails.

Everytime I'd stop, people would rush up to me like "hey dood, you're leaking coolant!!!" .....then I'd say "No, it's OK I've just got the A/C on...."

Then they'd roll their eyes at me and walk away. :haha: