Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First Gen Body on 1990 Frame?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Is it a possibility? Anyone done it? Have I lost my marbles for thinking of doing such a thing? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Anything is possible, but I'm sure it'd take lots of fab work and custom parts, not to mention $$$. Why would you even want to do that?

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

It would involve some fabricating of body mount's. Some stretching of the steering column/shaft to steering gear. Some wiring, Some transmission/T-case shifter fabricating, it could be done, if You have the time, and patience to see it through. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

'73 Blazer
    The above link is to pics of a '73 body on a late '80's frame, '91 front clip, '97 Tahoe interior. I met the owner at the time he was stationed at Dyess, AFB, TX and looked over the truck a lot and got to ride in it. It was done right, and as you can see a very unique K5. All you need is time and money.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

What's the "payoff" so to speak....???

It's certainly going to be plenty of work, but I can't quite figure out a "benefit" after you're all done. Are you thinking of swapping the later interior into the 1st Gen along with the 1990 driveline???

I'm incredibly biased when it comes to 1st Gens (what a revelation!).... but I think attempts to modernize a classic, simple truck are usually AWFUL. A steel dash, vinyl bucket seats and minimalist interior are what give a 1st Gen it's personality.....mess with that, and you've ruined it's value as well as it's aesthetic awesomeness!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

...yes "awesomeness" is a word.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

how about a first gen body with a tube frame /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yup, you're crazy! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BUT, it sure sounds like a fun, original project. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

The reason being, I really like the drivetrain/lift/etc that I have going now. There is a sad old '71 Blazer here in town that needs my TLC. It's not for sale but nothing has been done with it. I want to pester the guy & see if he'll part with it, but what would I do with it? It doesn't run or anything. I think the first gen is the most classy ride out there. Does anything from a 1990 work on a 1971? I would get it just to have it sit in my yard so I could admire it! Long term project? I don't know, but I hate seeing it sit as a storage shed right now! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks Don. Patience, huh? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im assuming the body is good though?

11. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im assuming the body is good though?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will have to look at it closer, but since he wasn't interested in selling I really didn't check the floor or anything. He might still be not interested but it kills me to see it just sitting there. It needs me /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Doesn't that figure? It irks me when someone would rather let a vehicle sit and rot then sell it to someone who would take care of it. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif