Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First gen F-Body Mini-tub, ever done?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by sled_dog, May 2, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Going to mini-tub the 69 Firebird, anyone ever done one? I am building the car to the G-Machine/Pro Touring style. So big fat rear tires will eventually be the goal. Doing the suspension now so going to do the mini-tub now. If you have done one, what did you use?

I was looking at the Competition Engineering mounts, but they look like they will lift the rear of the car about 1/2", trying to determine of that is the case.

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Haven't done it yet, but from what I've read the DSE kit is the only way to go. The tubs themselves aren't all that expensive, either. Definately looks like the easiest route.

Not sure how wide you want to go, with inboard shocks and a little massaging, you should be able to fit a 11.5" wide tire in there without tubs. Not sure how low you can get it with that wide of tire, though.

I'm really debating putting the mini's in my 68 Nova. Part of me wants to fit as much tire under there as possible, but, on the other hand, I'm not sure if I want to cut up a classic car and/or hassle with the whole thing. I'm leaning toward it- I have a decent amount of fab work to do anyway, so what's another couple of weekends worth of work?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

DSE just wants too much for their setup.

Comp engineering inboard mounts, Hotchkis springs, and some shocks would run me like $600.

4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Yes, the kit is spendy, but the tubs themselves are around $400, IIRC, and are the cleanest and easiest way to get the tire clearance, IMO.

If I minitub, I'm planning on getting the tubs and subframe connectors only. For suspension, I'm going with Caltracs with the shocks mounts relocated inside and Split Mono springs.

I'm going to run a fuel cell in the trunk, as my car is going to be street/ strip, and I don't want to mess with narrowing my tank or spending the money on one already done.

IDK, all of the little things add up quickly, but I'm doing this for the build as much as actually driving it, so I'm not in any hurry. If it's done in a couple of years I'll be happy. I'm figuring on 6 months to a year for the fabwork (Cage, sub-cons, rear end work) and getting the chassis rolling. That will give me some time to rathole money for the engine/ trans.

Still planning on the 5.3? What's going behind it, T56?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

5.3L with M21 behind it. T56 whenever I find one that isn't outrageous price wise.