Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First Gen Front Clip Removal>>>>>

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok so it has begun!
    YYYYEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!
    I parked my rig in my garage sideways and I took off the hood and began to tear out my tired 350. Got alot remove allready(carb,alt,dist,ignition,rad,dualbatts,etc...) and started looking at the front clip and how it removes.

So all you first Genners that have removed a front clip before please take a moment to tell me the shortest route to take for removing this sucker.
    Do I need to remove the cowl piece? Ya know what's first to last...

YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!

Oh I would have had some pics but my wife left the digi camra at her office /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for your time /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Burt,

Do the whole clip....it's WAY easy and you'll be thankful for the extra working room.

Let me see if I can remember the steps:

1. Open the hood and locate the upper fender bolts near the door hinge (should be 2 of them near the cowl)

2. Crawl underneath and locate the lower fender mount below the hinges and unbolt that

3. Unbolt the radiator support bolts that go through your front two body/rad mounts. Disconnect radiator hoses, and other stuff that connects from the radiator support to the engine.

4. Disconnect the wiring plug that runs from the firewall down the drivers side fender (for the headlights, and turnsignal stuff)

5. Close the hood to latch and square up everything. At this point, (IIRC) the entire front clip should be ready to lift straight off.

2 guys could probably lift it, but a few more might be nice.... just lay down a nice tarp and set it down to the side out of the way. You'll really like how open the front end will be. It might tempt you to get in there and do some cleaning, and detail painting, etc. It's SO easy to do at this point, and it will make the engine look that much MORE impressive if the firewall and framerails are all sparkling and freshly painted. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

There you are, thanks Greg.

So I allready took the hood off and the radiator is out too.
    So I do not have to take off the cowl?
    If not good! The less I have to remove the better. I was thinking of just removing the Rad supoport/grill but I need to swap out the engine crossmember/mount to a 73 up version so I think the fenders out of the way too would make it tons eaiser /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    BBC hear I come baby!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Oh and yes I do plan on cleaning and painting the engine bay. I am gonna spray it with Black Semigloss Engine enamale. The block will end up Chevy Orange.
    YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Yep, you do need to remove the cowl to access a couple bolts. Glad your project has began! You do have your zip lock baggies and pen handy to write down what bolts went where, right?

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    If I remember correctly there only a few bolts to remove for the whole front clip to come off.
    The yellow dots in the pic are the ones I remember.
    [​IMG]

You might have to take the bumper off 1st.

The two in the front are the core support bolts.

The one in the wheelwell fastens the wheelwell to the firewall.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha Yep I thought of you saying that when I started the teardown on Saturday /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have yet to need a baggy only cuz I am puting the bolts back into the holes as I remove stuff. I can see how valuable that baggy trick will be...especially with my memory /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gifI had WAY too much fun in the 80s /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks BobO
    So the cowl does need to be removed.
    I like the yellow spots /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifhehehe

9. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    yup,cowl off to access the top 2 bolts at the rear of the fender.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cowl and bumper yep, disconnect radiator hoses and unplug wiring harness at the firewall and nubolt the two rad support frame mount bolts and the big bolt in each wheel tub and uyyp under back bottom of both fenders theres a bolt that screws into ear at front of rocker panel and then the two bolts at top back of each fender into cowl of cab firewall,.

and off it will come, two ppl can lift it off and carry it, ive done it by myself alot but its tricky, ive done some crazy things by myelf, i always find some way to do it somehow

good luck