Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First Gen power door locks

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Oct 7, 2004.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Power door locks in your first gen? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    This is pretty much a useless mod when you have the top off. Hell I never locked the doors with the top on.. But why can't I make my old k5 daily driver have the features of a modern day vehicle.
    ->I did this more for the Wow factor of tying the door locks into my alarm and having my truck lock when I walk away and arm the alarm.. And keyless entry, it unlocks the doors when I disarm the alarm. Pretty cool when the hard top is on. I just like the idea of converting my truck to power doors from scratch and figuring out how to make it work.
    [​IMG]
    I went to the junkyard to get a part for my broken door latch. After I found the part I needed I got an idea and went and looked at some Cadillac power doors, and then found a 89ish chevy truck with both power door lock actuators unbolted and waiting for me to grab them. The chevy truck and caddy actuators look exactly the same so probably any GM door lock actuator will work. 9.99 I couldn't go wrong, since then I've seen actuators on the net for $7.00 new!?

The only real modification I needed to make was using different hardware for the bottom bolts for the door latch. I left the upper bolt as the stock Phillips screw, but the lower two I used M6x30 allen head screws- these fit inside the threaded hole for the latch, then I used washers, lock washers and nuts on the inside..
    [​IMG]
    I cut some flat plate steel, then drilled two holes for it to bolt right onto the back of the latch using those longer M6x30 screws. Then I bolted the plate and the latch together tight for a mock up, positioned the actuator, then drilled the 2 mounting holes for it. Bolted the actuator to the plate with some small hardware like M4x14's..
    The door lock rod gets disconnected and I stuck a bolt through the hole in the actuator arm to the hole for that door lock rod.. Then I figured out how to reattach the linkage rod by drilling a hole a little higher up on that plastic actuator arm, and using a die to thread the end of it, and use a nut to secure it. This way it all looks and works like stock, but you have power door locks. I tightened everything up and bench tested it all before even installing it in the door. The two leads for the actuator need to have the polarity reversed to make it go up and down.. That is from (+ & -) to (- & +). Two relays will do the job for this.
    [​IMG]

The only other mod is to cut a little hole in your door panel and install a momentary rocker switch, this one I got from a Cadillac el dorado.
    [​IMG]
    Then you get to find two relays and like 20' of wire.
    (the schematic got cut off when i scanned it ->at the top it should say: Hot at all times 12V going to the momentary rocker switches in the door panels.)
    [​IMG]
    Very cool mod, power door locks for around $20 and a day of engineering it. Next up.. power windows... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Next up, shaved door handles and poppers!

Cool man. Thats one of the things on my list of things to do!

3. 502

502 1/2 ton status

Pretty cool mod Ryan...and well thought out! You even did a great job of explaining what you did. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Now after a few beers around the campfire you won't have to worry about getting the little key into the little lock. ............. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifWhat a time saver... "Mr Lazy" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    ...now I want PDL's... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Next up, shaved door handles and poppers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all they're cracked up to be...trust me I know. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

YYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
    Nice Job Bro /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

To bad I don't have a top anymore so this mod wouldn't make to much sence for me to doit hahahahahah

Thanks for sharing /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif