Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First Gen Spring lengths

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, Oct 16, 2003.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How much shorter are they than 2nd gen ??? whats involved in using 2nd gen springs on a first gen truck?? has anyone done this ?? I have a set of 8" skyjacker springs for a 2nd gen and would like to use them on my "new" 69 longbed I tried a search but all I could come up with was that the first gens were shorter no actual numbers /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you talking about fronts or rears?

Fronts on a 1st Gen are 44"
    Rears are the same as any other K5.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

if its for the rear is the 69 another k20? cause then you are gonna need the longer springs. 56" iirc. front is still the same as a first gen k5. 2nd gen front springs are 3" longer . back is the same provided its a 1/2 ton or blazer at 52" long

69k5

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Rob and I experimented with a "mixed bag" and built him a set of springs from a rear CJ-7 spring pack. His are really too soft to be safe... but he seems to like them that way /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.....

Anyway, they flex like crazy /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    [​IMG]

Marv

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 4" TC EZ-Rides for a 2nd gen that I am in the process of installing on my 1st gen in place of some 1st gen 4" Ranchos.

I ground off the rivits that hold the front spring hanger on and moved it forward one hole on the body mount (about 1.8"). I am going to make some longer shackles to take care of the tail end of the spring. If everything works out how I've planned the axle will be moved forward just a bit and I will have a better shackle angle (along with 295# springs to replace the stiff 720# Ranchos!). I almost have one side done but I don't get much time to work on it so it might be a while till I'm done.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Marv,
    Are those springs the same length as stock and just softer or did you go moving around the mounts?

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

The CJ-7 springs are a bit longer.... maybe 1.5" or so... Makes the shackle angle kick back a little..

I think we re-drilled the center pin to move the axle forward just a tich, and then added several leaves to stiffen up the rate. BTW, we estimated the rate by the old "have the biggest guy there stand on the leaf pack - while the lightest guy there measures the deflection".... We thought we had 250 or so lb/in... but to ride in it - they feel real soft... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Oh... and I think Rob had to whip up some custom bushings for them too...

Marv

8. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

cool it can be done !!! I've been wondering about moving the spring hanger forward and longer shackles were in the plan anyways /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status