Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First generation component system in the doors?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Racefreak, May 27, 2002.

1. Racefreak

Racefreak Registered Member

Here's my ?. Will a 6/34" component system fit in a first gen door? I have a 72 that measures exactly 6 3/4 in the space between the bottom of the vinyl door panel to the raised ridge at the bottom of the door. The cutout diameter is 5 11/16. Has anyone ever mounted components in a first gen? There seems to be plent of room below the vent vindow to mount the tweet. I have a feeling that components will sound better than 6X9's in the doors. Here are the ones I'm considering.
    Ikesound has the 6 3/4's NEW for $134. They are $250 at crutchfield.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-X0PAe215RUI/ProdView.asp?a=0&s=0&g=76500&id=whats_included&i=575FNX2614

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Racefreak,

Check my photos in my .sig

I've got 2 6" midbasses in each door with plenty of room to spare (depthwise). The only hassle is the lower hinge reinforcment plates are somewhat in the way of the "forwardmost" speaker and I had to do some trimming there.

If you need more specific pics I can send some to you directly. I've probably got about 500 photos of the stereo install, I just didn't feel like posting and annotating them all in the gallery! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Plus, I'd bet Steve would kill me for wasting THAT much server space.....

3. Racefreak

I've decided to go with these, assuming they will fit! They are supposed to be incredible, according to everyone at caraudioforum.com. The price can't be beat! I'm going with the Pioneer DEH-740MP head unit. They are giving it to me for $250. There is a company named Cadence that makes some 8" round coaxials that I'm thinking of putting in the back seat side panels as well. That, or Crystal 6X9's. I can get some new Polk 6X9's for $59, but I hear the bass response is poor on them.

Here's the Crystal Components
    www.sounddomain.com/sku/CRYCPE60T

Here's the Cadence 8" 3 ways
    http://www.cadencesound.com/action.lasso?-database=Products.lasso&-layout=Description&-response=comp_detail.html&MODEL=ZX-891&modelyear=2001&-search

Opinions?

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

5. Racefreak

Damn Brandon, I bet that K5 BUMPS! How was the service at Sounddomain.com? I hope good. I'm convinced about these Crystal components. I'm thinking the Titanium tweets versus the silk ones. Are the grills cloth or plastic? Hopefully NOT cloth! My Audiobahn enclosed sub came UPS today. All I can say is WOW! The fit & finish on this puppy is awesome. The box is MDF covered in pleather. The binding posts are gold, & the dual VU meters are backlit in blue. If the sub is crap, maybe I'll be able to stick a better one (Shiva, Juggernaut, Alum, etc) in there. I haven't taken it apart yet. I still can't believe the price on these!
    http://cardiscountstereos.com/Catalog%20Page.asp?Product+%23=ABV12X

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks. sounds like well have very similar systems then huh! and that price on your sub is awesome. which amp did you get?

7. Racefreak