Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First Generation engine crossmember

Discussion in 'Vendor Forum' started by cybrfire, Jan 3, 2007.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

First generation engine crossmembers!

These will hit the website for $165.00.

Channel brackets go inside the frame rails giving you a nice flat platform for the engine crossmember. 4 Bolts on each side plus the engine bolts (9/16") and the crossmember is out. Then you'll have easy access to the oil pan should you ever need it.

Everything you need to do the swap is included except the paint!

2. '71k204x4454

'71k204x4454 Registered Member

Do you know how it fits with a big block and what about crossover steering? Looks good just like all your stuff by the way!!!

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Nice work as always Kert!

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Kert.... stop with the trick ass parts will ya? i need another truck that all of your goodies fit on now. :deal:

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I need one!!!
    how much room do they allow compaired to the stock as far as oil pan clearence. my moroso pan maybe deeper then stock.

6. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

DAMN!! Nice :bow: :bow: !

Any pics of it bolted up with and without motor :D !
    Use existing bolt holes?

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Will that work for a 2wd truck? Does the bottom of that crossmember set up any higher in the frame than the stock one? My buddy is dropping a 71 truck and is looking for a new crossmember that doesn't hang down so low.

Let me know quick and you can probably send it with my other order.

8. cybrfire

OK, try to answer everybody here.

2wd, i doubt it. I didn't try it in a 2wd frame so can't say for sure either way.

It tucks up pretty close to the oil pan. so they may allow more room underneath. I don't have specific dimensions. We tucked it in as close as we could. With an aftermarket pan there may be clearance problems. There is approx. 1/4" of clearance on the corners of the pan. That is where it is tightest. Shouldn't be difficult to notch the tube and plate it back in.

No pics without the motor sitting on it. It does use existing holes. No drilling of anything is required, however, these frames do vary a bit so it is possible a hole may need to be reamed a smidge. We run the holes out fairly snug. I don't like the idea of doing all the holes big and sloppy to accomodate things like this when it very well may be only one hole causing problems. RGV72blazer said his fit perfect.

Big blocks should fit the same. I have heard reports of different shaped pans on big blocks. I don't have all of them if they exist to test them though.

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

man now I really need one, payday is tomorrow so your phone will be ringing.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no, it wont. it lacks the UCA and LCA mounts. basically, it would probably fit in the frame, but you wouldnt have any place to mount the suspension then. :deal:

this might help your buddy however....

http://www.captkaoscustoms.com/chopcross.html

11. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

do you make these for 2nd gen trucks as well? I couldn't find it on your website if you do.

12. cybrfire

Very soon!

13. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I want to order one this week. that soon? =)

14. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Engine Crossmember

Kert:
    Received the crossmember kit and it looks good and seems to fit fine. The reason for this post is that I am using the crossmember to mount a 396 BBC into my 72 Blazer. To do this I have to move the motor forward in the frame. Doing this means that I have to drill new holes for mounting , or weld the frame inserts to the frame. I don't like to weld components to the frame for obvious reasons.
    After receiving the crossmember and temporarily installing in the frame I can see that drilling holes in the frame that align with the predrilled holes in the frame inserts will be a very difficult task. In the instance where the crossmember is to be moved, I think that the inserts should be made without the frame mounting holes. Doing this will allow drilling the frame and insert from the top and bottom. Please let me know if you could make me a new set of inserts without the holes.
    I am in no hurry, so you can do it the next time you make a batch of crossmembers. I can send back the inserts I have, or will buy a new set.
    I can use the predrilled set, but would have to move the bolts toward the center of the inserts. Probably just being picky, but don't want to risk this high torque motor breaking mount bolts.

15. cybrfire

I'll make ya a new set no prob. Send yours back and I'll get a set coming to you! If it makes life easier then shatfire, why not!

Kert

16. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I have the engine setting in the frame right now for fitup of engine and transfer case. As soon as I pull the engine back out I will send to you. Like I said, this is a major project so I'm in no big hurry.
    Just to be clear, everything fits fine, I just need the inserts that go into the frame.
    John

17. cybrfire

Yep, I got ya. Big block, 2" forward. No frame holes in the boxes to facilitate drilling the frame and boxes simultaneously. Guaranteed bolt alignment.

18. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Kert:

If you want to see some pics of the crossmember fitted to a big block, go to first gen forum "some progress pics".

19. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Still waiting on an annoucement of the 2nd gen crossmember! I should take video of the frame flex I have with the engine crossmember and trans crossmember out. I can ramp 8-10" with just the chassis.

20. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    hey Kert, had some trouble getting the darn thing into my Gen1. let me rephrase, it was a PITA. lol. my buddy broke one of the bolts in the block when he was tightening it, so we're going to put some tack welds in it, you see any problem with this or should i pull the motor out again and fix the broking bolt? also there's very little clearance under the oil pan and on one part is even making contact, may be a crooked pan but doubt it. any thoughts?? thanks.