Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First generation ?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Racefreak, May 18, 2002.

1. Racefreak

Racefreak Registered Member

Hello! I need a little "Sound Advice"! I have a 72 Blazer that is virginal when it comes to the stereo. BONE STOCK. I was not really wanting to hack my dash if I didn't have to. I found an Alpine 7502 shaft style cassette for $100, new in the box. It is 25X2 & has an RCA preout. It is the best of the shaft style decks I can find. I am wanting to run 6X9's in the bed area, and something in the doors (?) or kick panels? I would also like a sub in the back. Would this cassette be able to work with all this? I would also install an RF CD changer in the console I'm thinking. What kind of amp will I need, a 4 channel? I guess the head unit can drive the fronts? Or, I could get a 5-6 channel to run it all? Will the Q-Logic kick panels work on a First Gen? Thanks for reading, you guys ROCK.

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

ok under what you are wanting to do... you could use the output of the radio to run the door speakers.. then get a 3-channel capable amp to run the back and the sub... personally i would look into kenwood decks.. they have some shaft styles out there still that are 4 channel, rca out, and some even control cd changers...

as for how to hook it up.. if you went with the alpine i would consider hooking the outputs up to the rear speakers.. and use the amp to run the fronts and sub... or better yet.. just dont use the outputs from the radio and do it all from a 5 channel amp.. alpine has a nice one out there that isnt very expensive... something like 45x4+120x1... this would work out for what you are wanting to do.. either way...

as for the kick panels... i am not sure... someone else will have to help you out on that one..

There are other alternatives to using the factory radio location.. Places sell center consoles that have an area built into it for a radio.. this way you could still use the din size radio instead of a shaft style... just another option..

3. Racefreak

WOW! Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to do a 5 channel amp. I found a Sony Mobile ES 880 watt 5 channel amp for CHEAP yeterday. Here it is;
    http://www.carstereomall.com/store/store.cgi?command=listitems&pos=0&type=search2&search=sony-xm1805gx

Is there a reason that this amp is being closed out so cheap? Sony ES stuff is awesome. I have an ES home receiver that I love. It retailed for $1500. High current power, just like the mobile amp.

I was thinking, I have a Coustic 2 channel amp in the Garage. It is 75X2 RMS. It has RCA input and bass boost. I used the amp for around a year, running a MTX dual 10" full rage box. I really was happy with it. I guess it could be bridged to run a single 12", & a 4 channel could run the 4 speakers? Do I need a head unit with 2 sets of RCA's to use 2 amps, or can they be daisy chained via RCA's? I can get a 480 watt 4 channel Coustic for $120. I bought an Audiobahn 12" enclosure with sub yesterday online. This place has INSANE prices. It was $130 shipped. I wonder if I'll get it?! They have Audiobahn 6X9's for $39!
    http://cardiscountstereos.com/Catalog%20Page.asp?Product+%23=ABV12X

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My first Blazer was a 72 K/5. We bad a box that mounted on the botom of the dash for the sterio. Looked pretty good, and had quick release fasners so I could take it in the house at night.

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Do I need a head unit with 2 sets of RCA's to use 2 amps, or can they be daisy chained via RCA's

<hr></blockquote>

well technically yes you should use 2 sets of rca's to do it.. but if you look into alot of 4 channel amps they have the outputs so you can daisy chain to another amp without having to use a rca splitter... this makes it nice... some of these amps you can even use an internal x-over for the outputs... so there are a couple of different things you can do with what your wanting to do... for what im seeing i would look into the amps with an output for daisy chaining or just buy a 5 channel amp... either way.

6. Racefreak

7. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

after checking the link i might be a little leary about it... i would email them and ask them why they are advertising a sony modile ES radio but have a sony explode amp in the picture...

8. Racefreak