Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First Intake Manifold or Carb?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prossett, Oct 12, 2005.

1. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Given budgetary realities, at Summit Racing I can either get:

Edelbrock EDL-71012 Intake Manifold, Performer RPM, Dual Plane, Aluminum, Permastar, Square Bore, Chevy, Small Block, Each $239.95

or

Edelbrock EDL-9973 Carburetor, Remanufactured Q-Jet, 795 cfm, 4-Barrel, Spread Bore, Hot Air Choke, Single Inlet, Each $375.95

Which one first?

'83 Jimmy, 305 stock engine, manual gears, above order will include headers and full exhaust.

If I can get these parts cheaper maybe I can squeeze in both - any suggestions where? They must ship overseas and take VISA.

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I don't think I would put a 795 cfm on a 305. I have a 600 cfm performer carb on a 283 and I love it. its just about right..

4. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Holy sh*t...you don't want a 795 cfm carb on a stock 305. :doah:

5. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Bit excessive, eh? I've got lots to learn...

Here's what the stock carb looks like, can you guys ID it?

So far I've managed to ID the transfer case, gears and axles, but still not the engine - the VIN says it's a 305.

[​IMG]

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats a Q-jet , of which the lowest one was still 750 cfm , early 80's NON-COMPUTER with electric choke . The casting numbers will tell you more than that .

And they run great on 305's considering the primaries are tiny , and the secondaries only open as needed based on airflow :D

7. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

palm tree island-off topic

off topic but have you seen or heard of that island thats shaped like a palm tree and was made of sand-the prince of Dubai had it built-i just watched it on tv last night-every property has a ocean front view

8. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

OK! ID'd another part - Quadrajet carb. Thanks.

All I know is I just bought this beautiful K5 and I'm loving every moment; even if my Haynes repair manual is taking forever to get here!

Changed all fluids, oiled and greased her, couple of things that need replacing (minor) and then all I have to do is figure out how to get her to climb sand dunes!!

Back to topic, so if the stock carb is already equivalent cfm to the Summit Racing one, why bother changing or rebuilding it?

And same story with the headers...

I've run mostly Wrangler, and increasing air in and out is key to better acceleration and longer climbs. What mods would I need for my Jimmy?

And for the http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/category.asp?CtgID=7753 guy - thanks buddy!!! I like those prices a lot more than Summit!!! You just saved me $$$...

And for the off-topic guy - yeah, 2 palm islands being built as we type. Each one so big it will be noticeable from space... why? The weather sucks down here 6 months of the year, but the other 6 it's just perfect: winter!

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

10. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

:D

Does anyone know if the stock Quadrajet carb shown in the pic above is square bore or spread bore?

And how would it like to sit on top of an air intake manifold instead of right on the engine?

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Spread Bore for Q-jets , Carter Thermoquads , Holley 4165's , and a few others .

Square bore for most Edelbrock/Carter afb's avs's , Most Holley 4150/4160 , and several others :D

12. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

I'd definitely do the intake over the carb first. in fact, I doubt I would even upgrade to a different carb. If that one gives you trouble, rebuild it.

I disagree that headers and intake are worthless without cam work- Swapping to a dual plane aluminum manifold not only saves about 40 pounds of weight, but in combo with the headers I was able to light my tires up without using the brake or neutral drops. It makes a big difference, AND my mileage went up at least 1 MPG afterwards. Do it.

In the tight confines of a newer truck with more underhood equipment spark plugs might be a problem, but I can access every plug without a glitch on my '73 truck. I'll never go back to manifolds.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

why not? the factory did. a QJet wont feed an engine more air/fuel than it needs, you cannot overcarb with a QJet.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you're forgetting the improved cylinder scavenging you get with headers. headers are a great addition to a mild engine. the more air you can get it, and the more air you can get out, the more power you will make.