Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First night out in 4 months! And "WORST STUCK!"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jul 4, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

First night out in 4 months! And \"WORST STUCK!\"

Its been really hot and dry for about the last two weeks in IL... and I finally got the rig running! So of course I have to go check out the local stomping grounds! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I drove thru EVERYTHING the place had to offer... EXCEPT the loop around mud bog! So I creep up on it really slow, expecting to see the HUGE LONG puddle of muck... but instead I see two ruts, and dry cracked dirt!

*thinking to self* self, thats no problem! Looks pretty dry to me... You did all the other stuff without any issues... so GO FOR IT!

Having thought that... I drive in, over two railroad ties and WHAM! The front diff falls off the railroad ties and SINKS to mid diff cover in THICK GOOEY SLOP. Turns out, the mud bogs just grew a skin over the top, and looked like some 44s had back digging the ruts for me! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif And to top it off, I had just enough momentum to drag the rear diff in far enough to high center IT too. All 4 spin free in the muck.

Called the wife, and asked her to rescue me at 12:00am. I requested that she bring a few 12" long 2x4's, the Hi-lift, and a spade shovel.

*disclaimer! I would normally have that in the truck, but this is the first day its been on the road in 4 months! Everything managed to find its way out, and into the garage. So after waiting 30 minutes for her to compile my list of goodies and allowing her travel time... I lifted the truck, dumped the two railroad ties under the rear tires (to get the diff outta the ground) and set it down, then went to the front, took the 2x4s and used them as a footing for the hi-lift, and used all 60" of lift my jack offers, and drove off in reverse. Two more times... then finally I came free. So I pack all the stuff into the truck, wander back to the wifes car for a drink, and buy the time the clock read 12:48am I was free.

MORAL OF THE STORY YOU ASK? Never leave home without the few simple tools that can really go a long way in extracting you from a "WORST STUCK."

Thanks all for reading my pityful story... I'm off to bed.

-Dan

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: First night out in 4 months! And \"WORST STUCK!\"

first off congrats abot getting the blazer going again /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    second im lmao!!!!!!! good story /forums/images/icons/grin.gif also never under any circumstances trust dry cracked mud it will get you in the end lol /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

congrats on the rig running again...heres something i learned the hard way and now you have too...never go play in your truck without another vehicle there that can pull you out...

Later

4. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif after the 12 am call, are you in the same bed as you're wife /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ?

dave

5. bogginnut

bogginnut Registered Member

Same thing happened to me tonight. I had been home just long enough to order a pizza when a friend calls and says he's stuck up the road on a powerline road we frequent. I've been thru there a zillion times, and as long as your carefull, it's usually not a problem. Loaded up both my daughters, they never miss a chance to go boggin with daddy, and planned on picking up the pizza after the rescue. Ended up burying my rig right in front of the buddies rig. Called the wife on the cell to come get the kids, had her get the pizza, then get my neihbor with a winch to come get us. Damn I need a winch. And no, my wife wasn't mad, she's gotten pretty used to this sort of thing.
    Sean

6. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

My wife bought me a winch for my birthday with a note "guit calling me now" Last time I called her she drove her 2000 grand prix all the way to where I was stuck to the amasement of all the other guys around then drove back out never did find out how she did it.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Finally got the truck back on the road again!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

So how did the new tranny/t-case do for ya? Bet you liked that extra low gear so you could crawl all over the place! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. KRAZIE87K5

I've got a trail buddy who owns a Heep... 4cyl... only weighs 4000lbs! What do you think the chances of him being able to pull me out are? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Something tells me that a 4000lb 4cyl Heep might have a hard time pulling a 6200lb Blazer. Plus he's in WI for the Holiday... so I had to make the run solo. Ah well... just glad I got out!

-Dan

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've been pulled out of rocker deep mud by a stock 4Runner. I was quite amazed! A yank strap can make up for lack of horsepower and weight...

Cool stuck story though. My wife prolly would have left me there /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue"> Mine too, Rene ! She would have said, " Have fun walking home... I'm going back to sleep ! " ... The next thing I'd hear is the phone hanging up ! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif </font color>

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL, that's why I never wheel alone! I'm usually too damn pig headed and proud to call her anyways. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rene

12. KRAZIE87K5

Hell I'm just proud to say that I got that stuck, and got her out without any help from a buddy! That 60" Hi-jack rocks! My offroading buddy will NEVER believe this! This is just like the preverbial "BIG FISH" story! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

-Dan

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Glad to hear you made it out ok. Good story too.

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Funny you mention the 60" Hi-Lift jack! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I have a new jack but it's the 48" one. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Guess I will have to wait to find out if it will work or not. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

thats kinda funny because i got stuck in mud about 2 1/2 months ago an i went back to the spot to show my friends where i got stuck and my holes from my 36's were still there....in the dried out cracking mud......but i didn't go through it........ /forums/images/icons/smile.gif