Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First OFFICIAL post- Dispelling myths about Canadians

Discussion in 'North Region' started by Can Can, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

This is not truck related, but I feel it's important to let you foreigners /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif know that a lot of the crap you guys hear about Canada is not true. Here we go:

1. We do not live in igloos. We do not get around in the winter by using dogsleds. And penguins can only be found in the Southern hemisphere.

2. Yes, our beer is the best in the world, but we do not drink it all the time and walk around in a permanently drunken state.

3. It's spelled toque, not tooke or touke or tuke. Okay?

4. Yes, it's cold up here in the winter. That's why we're so damn tough.

5. We don't ski year round. Believe it or not, like you, we have a season called summer that, although short, brings warmth, sunshine and happiness.

6. We don't walk around saying "eh" all day long. Most of us use the term sparingly, generally when we're around foreigners in order to amuse them.

7. I know it might be confusing, but a case of beer in Canada holds 12 beer. We call 24 beer a "flat". If you're going to enjoy our nation's pride and joy, please show some respect and use the proper terminology.

That's about all I can come up with for now. Please feel free to add to the list, brothers.......

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    7. I know it might be confusing, but a case of beer in Canada holds 12 beer. We call 24 beer a "flat". If you're going to enjoy our nation's pride and joy, please show some respect and use the proper terminology.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get Canadian Bud in a 30 can 'box' now. So the word case has lost almost all it's meaning over the last few years. On the shelfs there are currently

a) 6 pack
    b) 12 can box
    c) 15 can box
    d) 18 can box
    e) 24 can box
    f) 30 can box

This does seem a little redundant to me, hell why not just buy two 15 packs and call it good? Was it so important to get it all in one box? Was there a sigificant amount of cardboard to be saved from this? The cutlural significance of the word 'case' has been completely diluted now...and it's left us a little confused, but much more drunker eh! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Seriously (OK, I'm still smirking a little) I assume most here are aware that Canada is very much like the US as far as weather and culture (we got none either...) and if not it's worth a chuckle to me anyways.

Rene

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

toque n. 1. A woman's small, brimless, close-fitting hat. 2. A plumed velvet cap with a full crown and small rolled brim, worn in 16th-century France. [French, from Spanish toca.]

Cool toque Paul. We're with ya, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

6 Pack??? what the hell is that?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif We east coasters have our 8 packs of Keiths (AKA nectar of the gods) and will never let them go! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Can Can

I couldn't give a rat's ass if the dictionary described it as "a small hat worn by monkeys in Brazil". If it keeps my head warm in the winter, I'm wearing one...... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    a) 6 pack
    b) 12 can box
    c) 15 can box
    d) 18 can box
    e) 24 can box
    f) 30 can box

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen a 15 pac here but we have the rest.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    6. We don't walk around saying "eh" all day long. Most of us use the term sparingly, generally when we're around foreigners in order to amuse them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt this one very seriously.

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey guys, I have seen one of your Fellow Canadian's drink out of a good ole Missouri 12 Pack of Natty Light! Yup, thats what we call 'em here - 12 Pack and Case 'o Beer.

He chuckled gleefully as he consumed Natty Light straight from the can and may have even mentioned it being the best brew he had ever tasted.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

AB products - It doesn't get any better than 'dis... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

This Canadian doesn't say "Eh" much but he sure does say words such as About (Pronounced A'boat) and so on... He talks of "Stuff" called Muskeg and we Midwesterners sure think he is crazy! I know he's tough because I saw him around the University the other day wearing a Denim Jacket when it was Sub-Zero outside! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Now, try to guess which of your clan I am talking a'boat! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I dunno who you are talking about, but I sure like muskeg runnin, and I say eh an awful lot.... Guess I rank rihght up there. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, I am wearing a toque as we speak! LOL

Mike

10. tRustyK5

Chris isn't it? I can't recall his screen 'nick' off the top of my head. Drives a first gen, moved from Alberta to Missourri.

Anyways, stereotypes are funny...

Rene

11. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    He chuckled gleefully as he consumed Natty Light straight from the can and may have even mentioned it being the best brew he had ever tasted.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure as hell didn't say that! I should have brought back some Black Amber Alberta Stout and shown you what real beer tastes like /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

12. tRustyK5

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif You tell him Chris... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

So everyone plays hockey and listens to Rush, right? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Can Can

Nope. I actually can't stand the sport *puts on Maple Leaf flame suit* and half the guys I know can't stand Rush. I like them, though. Neil Peart is my hero. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    *puts on Calgary Flames suit*

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it...

Rene

16. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Yeah frankly i think hockey blows goats. Although i do listen to Rush. I think hockey went down hill since all of our players moved to the states with the russian players there /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Never been a big fan of watching it but I spent 12 years catching people with their heads down and making em pay for it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif