Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First Post - Camshaft Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CooknwithGas, Nov 27, 2001.

1. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

This is my first post here. I spent a good bit of time today reading your posts. I like this forum!! However, I couldn't find the answer to my question - Does anyone know where I can find a good description of installing a new camshaft while the engine is in the truck? I have a 1975 blazer with 109K original miles and have changed the front and rear main seals, timing chain, valve covers, oilpan & carburetor.

My main question is - Do you have to remove the intake manifold to replace the camshaft? I assume the heads stay put, but valve covers come off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If you kiss your honey, and her nose is runny
    you may think it's funny, but itsnot

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, you do have to remove the intake so you can remove and reinstall the lifters.

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Yes the intake manifold has to come off for the lifters. Be sure and coat the camshaft with molybendum grease for the break in. I didn't do that my first time and toasted the cam!

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hey Scott
    Welcome to the show, I been wondering how long it would take ya to come on in. [​IMG]

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think it is a good rule of thumb to replace the lifters with a new cam. Most new cam kits come with lifters.

Rob

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

6. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Remove the grill and rad.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>