Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First post here... it's too purty!!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGEARL, Sep 28, 2005.

1. BIGEARL

BIGEARL Registered Member

Howdy guys, I've been on this site many times through the years but now that I finally have a Blazer I figured I'd finally buy a membership. I picked up a 1970 K5 CST about 2 weeks ago and it's just too damn nice! How in the hell am I gonna sling 1-ton gear and 38s on this thing and not have to break out the sawzall? I dont have the juevos to even touch the body on this rig. I'll have to find a mid 80's K5 to cut up for a trail rig. I'm looking forward to tapping the incredible knowledge represented on this site. Anyways enough about me...

1970 K5 CST 350/350/205/12b/D44/3.73/33BFG

93,000 original miles and garaged for 20 years!!! The PO put about 1500 miles on it per year sine 1985! AC/Wiperwash/etc, everything fricking works. I was shocked when I found this thing considering the rust heaps I had looked at. The rockers look brand new, no rust on frame/body/floor/anywhere. How in the hell am I gonna slide this thing into tree?

IMG_0139_1.JPG

IMG_0140_2.JPG

IMG_0141_3.JPG

IMG_0145_7.JPG

IMG_0144_6.JPG

2. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Welcome! And let me be the first to say, awesome find! That thing is almost too clean!
    But if you keep hanging around long enough, you'll be :hack: :grind: :weld: :1zhelp: in no time. ;)
    Of course, it's probably a cardinal sin to cut up a first gen that nice!

3. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I've gotta agree with bandit. We tend to be bad influences around here. It starts with a little resto-mod with 33s that rub just a little once in awhile, then it gets a little trim or lift, then it doesn't look right without bigger tires. The next thing you know your expanding your garage/tools/fabrication equip. etc. etc. Then you get thrown out to live in the garage because your wife thanks you're having some kind of sick affair with someone named Dana who's 60 :doah: and on and on.
    :D Any way welcome to the board. And you've got one very nice K5, enjoy :wink1:

4. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Keep it as it is and use it for a tow rig for the trail use blazer your about to build. ;)

Nice find.

I restored one to a 'to nice' condition so just I went out and found a different one to take out and abuse. :D

5. BIGEARL

The more I think about it the more I realize I'm gonna need another Blazer. I've already had 3 offers just driving it around town, one guy offered me 2 grand more than I paid for it. I'll have to look at it like an investment, not like K5's are gonna get any cheaper. I'm thinking 4" lift, 1" zero rate in rear to level it out, 35's, keep it half ton, 4.11's, detroit, maybe put the 2.78 planetary gears in the TH350, find a vortec 5.7 and call it done. Pull it out on weekends to take the wife and kids to get burgers and milk shakes.

Then find a late 80' diesel K5, yank the oil burner and build a nasty trail rig?

Earl

6. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Given the current condition, I'd leave it alone. Unless you want to clean it up. I would leave the 1 ton's for your trail rig. A friend of mine just finished his 72 and its stock height/axles running 32's.

If you have your heart set on cutting one up, please don't do it to that one :o

Go get one of those other "rust buckets" for that :D

I might sound a little hypocritical, I have a 72 thats has 8 inches of lift, 8 lug D44, 14BFF, and 38's, but the body is in fairly descent shape.

Just a thought :wink1:

Very nice find indeed :bow: :bow:

7. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I was typing my post while you were typing this. I agree :waytogo:

1st gens are definately an investment, been trying to tell my wifey that for some time :haha:

8. jims505

jims505 Registered Member

keep it like it is

Good looking 1st gen. I've got a 72 Jimmy just about stock.Like you people are always asking if I want to sell it.Here's what it looks like. 4" TC lift. Springs front and rear.Dual exhaust,side steps,33 BFG'S (like to try 35's) but don't want to trim.Good luck and have fun.

JIMMY001.jpg

JIMMY003.jpg

JIMMY004.jpg

9. BIGEARL

Great looking Jimmy!! I wanted a Jimmy originally but couldn't find anything decent up here in NorCal. Looks sweet with the 4" springs, are you still running the stock drive shafts? I'm hoping that if I move the rear axle back 1.5" I can retain the stock shafts. I have a feeling that moving the 12b rearward coupled with a shackle flip that I may be getting into custom driveshaft territory.

Your 72 have a 465 or a TH350?

thanks, Earl

10. jims505

jims505 Registered Member

1st gen

The drive shafts are stock. No vibrations or other prob.The engine and trans are out of a 78 Blazer,350 with th350. I had to change the tail section on the trans and put the orig. np205TC back in with the mount to the frame.When I did the lift I used the raised steering arm which came with the lift kit.No bump steer prob. I also replaced the tie rod ends and put on a adjustable steering arm to center the steering wheel after alingment.Replaced brake lines with extended braided lines from TC.All new poly bushings and shocks.
    I'm the third owner. I knew the other two_Orig purchased in Yuma Az.Then El Centro ,Ca. So it's been in the dry desert all it's life.

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard! I agree about not cutting up a 1st Gen, unless its a real rust bucket. Here's pics of my 70. Not as nice as yours, but it was free, and has only 71K miles on it. It was a ranch/hunting rig here in Colorado all its life, before I got it. I had been trying for 4 years to get this truck, and when my friends sold their ranch, they gave it to me.

Topless Pics 001.jpg

Topless Pics 003.jpg

Topless Pics 004.jpg

Topless Pics 002.jpg

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Nice Score!

There's no reason to "slide it into a tree" when wheeling...like anything else you can make choices. In this case, you don't HAVE to put it on the most severe trails to have fun.

A more "mild" set of upgrades can give you a very capable offroad rig. A small lift and some slightly larger tires (with some lockers) will let you enjoy 85% of the trails out there...and really ENJOY being outdoors in a convertible 4X4!!!

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the K5 is SOOOO collectible that you are afraid to drive it anywhere. YES, the 1st Gens are awesome but they will probably never command the kind of prices that the Hemi Cudas currently do... there are simply too many of them left.

You've got a great truck there....enjoy it.

As for fitting 38's without cutting...... keep dreaming! :haha:

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

talk to RyanB he will tell you what to do with that nice truck :D :haha:

14. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

BIGEARL, sounds like your above plan is good. Keep that truck in great shape and build it to enjoy but not abuse. Great looking K5!

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFIRSTGENSRULE!!!!!!!!!!
    Welcome abord :D
    That is a beauty :bow:
    I would not beable to cut it up. Get another fist gen that has cancer and build that. Then you can tow your first gen with a first gen :D :D

16. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Haha. :rolleyes: :haha: :p: :doah:
    What u talkin about? I still got a cherry first gen! ;)

[​IMG]

Sweet truck man! I'd keep that sucker as a nice driver, and find a $1000 beater k5 that you can really have some fun with. Second gens are cool to thrash, but i think its awsome to see a wheeler thats representing the 1st gens out on the trails.
    My k5 might make the restoration police cringe, but i still get thumbs up and "sweet truck" from people from time to time even looking at the smashed up side. :rotfl:
    "Its whats inside that counts." :pimp:

.. i've been collecting the body panels since i flopped it, my plans are to tube part of the truck, but make the front clip, doors, and quarters quick removable with pins, so it'll still be all legal and look like a cherry first gen when i'm done wheeling at the end of the day. kinda like a transformer truggy in disguise, that the resto police could still appriciate. :rotfl:

17. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

That's a sweet idea....I wish I had thought of that!!! You wanna go "halfsies" of the development costs for a 1st Gen carbon fiber hood and front fenders???... I don't think I want to pay those costs all by myself.

LOL... ps. Who's truck is that pulling you back over? It looks hella G!! :D

18. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha:

19. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Very nice first gen! Welcome to more information and help than you could ever use. Beware the dark side. :hack: :grind: :weld: :haha:

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Looks good man. May I ask where you picked it up? Try not to beat it up too much.