Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

first post - lots of questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by YZGUYONE25, Feb 18, 2003.

1. YZGUYONE25

YZGUYONE25 Newbie

Well guys, first off I would like to say this is one great site! Love all the info. I do have a few questions I would like to ask though.

I am looking at picking up a '74 K5 not sure of the TC but it's a Turbo350/350 engine tranny. It is currently sitting on a 4" lift and brand new 33" TSL Boggers. The K5 is also locked in the front and rear. The seller might also be willing to throw in a brand new set of 35" Boggers. Needs a bit of body work but the rest is in decent shape. From the brief details does this sound worth $2000?

Next, what is the length of springs from eye to eye on the front and rear? My buddy gave me the idea that if both pairs are same length then I should lose the blocks and put the 4" lift springs in the rear and the stock springs up front, being that the frame is arched in the rear this should result in a lift. Anyone done this?

Any other ideas or input anyone has for a first time wheeler? Thanks!

2. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

its hard to give it a value with only that info... 2k is within the typical price range though, I would think.

the front spring is 46.5 or so, and the rear is most likely 52 (56 on some but i've never seen one). As for the swap the springs to lose the blocks idea.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, let's see how I can do to answer your questions, but first things first:
    Welcome aboard to the best truck site on the net.
    If you'd be so kind as to fill out your profile, that'd be great (go to "my home" and click on the top "edit" choice)...this will tell us who you are, where you're from, and what you're driving. Very helpful.
    Also, there is a "search" feature on these forums that are sure to find answers for most any question you're mind can think up.

On to the questions:
    Yes, that K5 sounds like a decent deal NOT GREAT, BUT OK - of course it's hard to tell without pics/more info on the condition. BUT, those Boggers are big $$$ and add to the worth because you'll be able to sell one of the sets if you choose to. It really comes down to - is this what you really want? Are you going to have to sink in more money to make it road/trail worthy? It sounds as if it's in the right direction with the lockers, but beware of the stock, half-ton weak axles.
    As I stated above, try a search on the spring lengths for the front, and the swappablility. Search The Garage and Second Generation forums up to about 3 weeks ago. There was a thread about putting rear springs up front. Oh, and the rears will be 52" eye-to-eye.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Welcome to the site. I paid $1,500.00 for my 76 K5 Blazer, but it was all original with worn out springs. You have lots of choices for getting rid of those blocks. I recomened a shackel flip.

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

the front springs are 49'' and the rears are 52''. The stock rears can be moved up front if you move the front spring hanger forward about 2'' (not sure about '74's, but my '87 has holes already in the front hanger so all you really have to do is bust out the old rivets and bolt the hanger in the forward holes ) and it will give roughly 5'' of lift and a super soft ride /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. For the rear you will have to either get REAR lift springs (the length of the front springs is too short and even if it was the right length it would take close to a 10'' lift spring to give enough arch to match the 5'' of lift in the front), or you can cut through the bottom of the rear shackle hanger and "flip" the shackle for 4'' lift. Sounds like a very sweet deal to me, around here you would be lucky to get such a truck for under $5k

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the front springs are 49'' and the rears are 52''.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the fronts are 48" but who's counting.