Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First post......slips out of 4 High

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big Block Dave, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Big Block Dave

Big Block Dave Registered Member

Hey guys, Ive poked around this site since I bought my Jimmy back in June, but this is my first post, so be gentle;)

Im relatively new to the whole 4x4 thing, and admittedly I bought my Jimmy for the purpose of towing my 67 Chevelle to the track(yes the Big Block is inthe Chevelle), BUT having a father and a brother who both own 74 Broncos(yeah yeah I know...Ford guys), and checking out this page, I do have an interest in 4 wheeling, but moreover, Im not well enough versed in "4x4 science 101" to trouble shoot 4x4 related stuff, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Ive noticed that If I put my truck in 4 High either on some grass or wet pavement, that the shifter will move by itsself from 4h to 2h as I slow down. It doesnt "pop out", just slowly creeps out of 4hi as the rpms and nose start to come down.

I can gently hold the shifter in place and it will stay in 4h, without tugging at it, but who the hell wants to do that for lets say 25 miles worth of winter street driving.

It stays in 4Low with no problem.

Any ideas of what he problem may be? I was thinking maybe the trans mount is worn or something allowing flex and maybe the shifter is rubbing the floor pan, but maybe Im just being wishful for a simple cheap fix.

Basically Im coming to you folks as the more knowledgeable folks who have probably experienced this before.......If not, I now just look like an ass!:D

Sorry about the novel and thanks in advance!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK Dave
    Now the shifter mechanism doesn't have anything that locks down so if there is slight pressure on it it would slip when the tension is off the gears as when you slow down.
    I would first check the boot, if it's tight and restricting movement you would have exactly what you described.
    If it's not that then I would go under the truck and check if there is a cable or a tue or anything hitting the shift mechanism when in 4HI.
    I don't think it's the opening because then it would move it in one shove when it hits.
    Check these things and let me know.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the linkage is out of adjustment. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'll second linkage mis-adjustmant. Both Haynes and Chiltons will have the proper adjustmant procedure for you.

Rene

5. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Mine was doing the same thing when I first got it, at the time the next thing I was going to work on was the hubs, they were the plastic warn crap. I switched to the warn premium hubs, and the truck has not jumped out of 4 hi since.

-Matt

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I had the same problem after I added the body lift and poly bushings. A simple adjustment to the linkage solved it! Good luck,
    J

7. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

linkage out of adjustment!

8. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I agree with the linkage being out of adjustment

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

most of the time it's the linkage. Remember, the shifter is floor mounted and the transfer case is frame mounted. Check the bushing and mounts for the t-case. they go soft, split and allow the transfer case to shift positions.