Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

first project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atvaddict, Feb 10, 2005.

1. atvaddict

atvaddict Registered Member

hey everyone

im new here, but this is the best forum i have came across yet. Im 17, and im from ohio. I have a 79 3/4ton 4x4 suburban, that has a knock..so im not driving it right now. As soon as the weather gets nice i plan on doin a shackle flip for the rear, along with 3inch tuffcountry springs for about 7in of lift..and i have new 6 in front lift spirngs laying around. Im not sure about the axels/gears on her yet, but ill let you guys know soon so i can get some help on chosing some different gears if i need to. i like to b economical...but...your only 17 once..and im planning on having a bad@$$ truck by the end of this summer..nice wheels and big tires will be the icing on the cake. i might change my mind but 38's with 6 in lift looks pretty good to me.

any input/advice will b greatly appreciated..ill try to get pics too

Galen

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Enjoy , take your time , ask questions . Welcome aboard . When you hit some of the snags with brakelines , driveshafts etc . Come in and post up , everyone who has done it will help you :D

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

are you gona fix the knock before you do anything to it?

6 or 7 inches is gona look nice with 38's,thats what im running now and im only 17 too

and welcome to ck5

4. pauly383

I figured he'd be smart enough to do that first ;)

5. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

:whistle::whistle:

6. atvaddict

no im not driving it now...but i think its a 400..and junk..so im gonna put in a good running 350 i have for now..

7. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

welcome :D believe me you want to swap the engine in before you lift and go big tires. i put the 7 inch lift on my 67 gmc before i changed the engine. i also did some fab to squeeze the 454 in so that involved removing and replacing the engine 12-15 times:mad: do yourself a favor unless you are pulling the front sheetmetal do the swap before the rad support is at neck level!:grin:

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice job, I'm 17 also and I officially started my first project truck 2 1/2 weeks ago. I'm hoping to be done with running gear by the end of April. It'll be up 6" from stock and running a D60/14BFF combo and 39.5" boggers. Good luck man, make sure and take plenty of pics.

9. pauly383

You can get truck money selling that 400 here , people WANT them :D

10. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

Awesome, another Ohio person on here!

I am from the Cincinnati area hit me up sometime on PM

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd fix the 400....

I'd forget using a 350 if the 400 you have is rebuildable!--I have on in a 74 K20,which had a 74 454 in it before,and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between the 2 of them--the big block had a little more torque,but the 400 small block is pretty close,and weighs 200 lbs less,so the difference was minimal--a 350 is OK,but not as torquey as a 400 ..
    If you feel you must ditch the 400,I'd advertise it for sale,dont scrap it,there are lots of people still running them in dirt track cars and other high performance applications--even though mine is high mileage and has some blowby,and uses a quart of oil every 400-500 miles,it still can bark the tires in second gear!--I refused an offer of 250 bucks for the motor already,I kinda want to hold onto it--the rest of the truck is trashed,rusty and no reverse,cracked windsheild--its headed for the crusher pretty soon...:frown1:

12. atvaddict

hmmm..well my dad just didnt feel like tearing it apart i think..but maybe ill just tell him i wanna do it for fun..then keep it..im not sure we havent realy looked at it..its outa a stock car the guy told us..so i dunno miles or nothing...seems to run good thought..then it gets the oil moving and starts knockin..so we'll see..but i never thougth of selling it
    ill keep u posted