Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First road trip *pics added*

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by nevercomplete, Aug 17, 2003.

1. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

Well, I've been home just about a month now and I've already done a few mods to the Suburban. My exhaust fell off not too long after I got home so I went ahead and had them install true dual exhaust. First I had to convince the guy that my truck didn't come with a catalytic converter, I guess since it's 3/4 ton. The dual exhaust made a big difference in power and fuel economy. I've also managed to get my sound insulation and most of the carpet installed. It sure rides a lot more comfortable now. I got tired of the whistling from the vent windows so I sealed them up with some clear silicone /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, works pretty well. Anyways, we went up to West Virginia to stay in the mountains for a few days. I ended up getting over 15 mpg /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Sure suprised me. Truck ran great, even through the mountains. It kept right up with traffic, no problems. I was very impressed. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share how much I love my truck.

Here is a link to some pictures of my new interior. More to come soon.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/nevercomplete

Jon

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: First road trip

Good to hear everything went ok and that the burb is coming along good. Post up some pics when you get the time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Hey Jon

A picture really does say 1000 words! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I wonder what gearing and transmission your /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif has? I am stuck with a TH400 3 Speed & 4.10 axles in my 87 3/4 Ton, so I cant go any faster than 55 MPH if I wanna get good mileage. Actually, my best RPM's are in the 40 MPH range.

Ben

4. nevercomplete

It's 350 with a 700r4 and 4.10 gearing. I'll try to get some pics up tonight.

Jon

5. nevercomplete

Oh yeah, that was doing about 80mph the whole way.

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I dunno what kinda gears I have in the 77 C20, but they're hella steep. I roll 65 MPH on the freeway at about 2100 RPM*, through a TH400, and get 13 MPG out of my 454. I calculated them to be something obscene like 3.23's but I don't know if they ever made a 14 BFF that came with such a R&P. suppose I'll find out when I do a fluid change next month.

-Rich
    *(the speedo says 65, but I've changed from 9.50x16.5's to 33x12.50-16.5's since, and figgure I'm doing closer to 75)