Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First start after installing the 465 - NASTY NOISE!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, May 25, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

It only figures... I got everything back together today minus the driveshafts. That and I haven't figured how to bleed the darn clutch system yet either!!! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif But anyhow, I tried to start her up just to hear the motor run after only 3 months of being out of commission.

I pumped the pedal twice, turned the key, and she started right up. ONLY PROBLEM is that there is some really horrible noise coming from under the truck. Its so loud, that I can't determine what its coming from. The trans is in neutral. The noise sounds similar to the noise that the starter might make if it wasn't engaging - or maybe the sound of the flywheel rubbing on something. I checked the starter, and the FW clearance... everything looks fine. But the noise keeps coming...

Suggestions? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Just a stupid thought, but did you fill the cases back up with the 80-90 oil? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. KRAZIE87K5

Yup, nice and full of 80-90... Engine has a fresh 5 quarts too. Fluid levels check okay. Next?

-Dan

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Did you try the tranny out on the bench before you installed it? turning the input by hand in each gear etc etc?

One thing I had happen to me was I got the tin inspection cover installed incorrectly...one of the tabs was getting hit by the back of the crank each time it went around/forums/images/icons/blush.gif It sounded like a really bad rod knock...very loud!

Rene

5. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Inspection cover for me once too, it was awful till I found it.

6. tRustyK5

It sounded so horrible I actually started looking for another motor/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif...pretty easy to do though.

Rene

7. KRAZIE87K5

I did do a bench test, running thru all the gears, and it seemed to work correctly, without any wierd stuff. Now I'm just boggled by this noise. Hmmmm.... just don't know what to look at yet.

And what about bleeding the cylinders?

-Dan

8. tRustyK5

Dorian had a good link for bleeding hydro slave cylinders. Not being bled shouldn't cause any noise that I can think of.

With no driveshafts in, did you try to start it in nuetral as well as in gear to see if there was any difference in noise?

Do you have the inspection cover installed? If so, try removing it and start it up again...

Rene

9. KRAZIE87K5

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

With no driveshafts in, did you try to start it in nuetral as well as in gear to see if there was any difference in noise?

<hr></blockquote> You bet I did... and no difference. Tomorrow I will have a buddy over to help diagnose this...

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Do you have the inspection cover installed? If so, try removing it and start it up again...

<hr></blockquote> Sucks to do that... gonna loose all my oil. Which side do you think I should remove? All I know is that I NEVER removed the "tin covers" when I was rebuilding the tranny... Wonder why they would make noise now?

Aside from all that, I need to know how to bleed this thing quick. If I could release the clutch, I could find out for sure where the noise is coming from (engine or tranny side). Rene, do you have the URL to Dorian's info? Thx man!

-Dan

10. KRAZIE87K5

What causes the cover to start interfering with the internals? If that will cure this... I will sacrifice the oil first thing tomorrow morning... but $$$ is tight, so that kinda sucks. But loosing $20 in oil is better than loosing the tranny or something else, right? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

11. tRustyK5

No dude...not the PTO covers. There is a dust shield type of cover that goes between the oil pan and the flywheel/pressure plate area. Same place as the dust cover on a slush box. The tabs on the upper end of the cover plate sometimes go in crooked and the back of the crank hits the tabs...hence the gawdawful racket. It attaches to the bellhousing with 4 1/4" bolts...

Rene

12. KRAZIE87K5

Right.... The reason I thought you were talking about the PTO covers is because I haven't installed the front cover on the the BH yet... its still in the garage! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I didn't install it yet, just in case of something like this...

Damn... wish mine could be solved by that...

-Dan

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Make sure the trans is bolted up tight, sound stupid, but ya-never know. From the discription, I'd take a close look the bell-houseing area, might even pull it out again ( or install longer bolts and back it out) and double check install (start with waht you last F-ed with)

If it makes noise with the trans in neutral, - pretty much eliminates all the gears. That just leaves the Main-shaft and related bearings, Clutch, Throw-out bearing, and Fly-wheel.

As Rene stated, the front cover plate could be jacked. (no offence to anyone here named "Jack")

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so no clutch linkage yet?
    meaning disc and flywheel are locked and turning same speed?

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you have to pull the slave from the bell and hold it at an angle with bleeder up to bleed these little devils

16. KRAZIE87K5

Correct! Disc and flywheel are locked while cranking... but the tranny is in neutral.

-Dan

17. KRAZIE87K5

I tried a bunch of things... but the cylinder leaked out a bunch of fluid... and then I tightened the bleeder. I tried the pedal, and it didn't resist at all. The slave didn't even budge after pressing the pedal ALL the way down. Is that the way it should act until I get it completely bled?

-Dan

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that rules out disc backward.
    could just be the gears bangin around as there is no driveshafts attached I am guessing?

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

did you pull the slave out of BH mount and hold bleeder end up and bleed that way
    until it is bled the air compresses and the piston has almost no force

I did it alone last time and will call it a 2 man job from now on

20. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status