Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First Thread -- be gentle

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by shewheeler, May 1, 2002.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Hi everyone! Since y'all are bitchin' about no new threads.. maybe I could get some input here?

Ok... I bought a bunch of stuff for my truck... intake, carb and a new distributor. So, I'm talking to a guy about putting this stuff on for me and he suggests that maybe I should think about putting in a cam, too. He tells me... "you will DEFINITELY notice a difference with a new cam". Just when I thought I had it all worked out ... now I have this new dilemma/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif.

So, my questions:
    1) do I really need to or should I even do this (cam thing)?
    2) if I do decide to do it, how do I figure out which cam to get?
    3) how big of a performance gain is there and will I have to worry about upgrading other things with this addition?
    4) is it that much more cost effective to have the cam put in while he's doing the other stuff (i.e., less labor involved)?
    5) does anyone know anyone in the Bay Area who does side work?

Thanks for any advice or comments. I know absolutely squat about this sort of mod.

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Wohoo a new post!

A LOT depends on what you are going to do with your truck. Do you need to pass smog? what year? 77? What has been done to it already?

Assuming it is fairly stock, and needs to pass smog:

1) The cam will probably be the biggest difference you can make. You will have limitations due to smog laws.
    2) See questions above.
    3) You will feel it when you take off or tow
    4) It is all about the same, the biggest labor (I suspect) will be to drain the radiator when you change the intake, so changing the cam is one or two more covers.
    5) Many people here have been and are helpful. I am sure they are willing to help you out, especially if you are willing to get your hands dirty.

Good Luck, and again, thanks for the new post!

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Get a cam...Just do it....LOL

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

there is more work involved doing a cam change.
    the radiator and a/c condensors both have to be removed to get it in, who ever designed itwasn't thinking cus even the hood latch on my 79 had to be tweaked to allow the cam to slide in. Also all the stuff off the front have to come off too...power steering, alt., water pump and balancer. Also all the valves need to re adjusted with the new cam(I hate doing valves,LOL)I'm not trying to shy you away from doing one but if your planning for some down time, go ahead and do one/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. shewheeler

YAY a reply!!!!

To answer your questions...
    Yes, it needs to pass smog
    Yes, it's a '77
    nothing special... headers, flowmasters & open element filter

Among other things, my main goal is to be able to trailer my baja. I take it to Pismo several times a year and, quite frankly, flat towing it sucks/forums/images/icons/frown.gif. The thrill of swapping towing tires for sand tires is gone. Of course, if the greenies get their way before I make up my mind... this will be a non-issue, BUT I digress...
    YES, I'm willing to get my hands dirty/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have been researching to build my 383 torque monster motor and to get the best performance and reliability all the parts must match. The cam & lifters must match the valve train so if you swap in a cam I would want to also replace my valve train. If I swap my valve train I would want my heads and valves done, if I have I heads done I would.......etc....
    What I'm trying to say is I would NOT put a NEW cam into a high millage motor.
    Swapin in a new intake and ignition is as far as I would take it until you NEED or want a new long block.
    Hope this helps
    Burt

7. shewheeler

Hmmmm, I see... the endless mod dilemma... I was afraid of that. What you say makes sense. Someone also told me that a less expensive performance mod would be to get roller rockerarms... what's your take on that or is it just a bad idea in general to go messing with it?

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Hehehe I guess it's been some time since I have even opened my hood... sorry for the bad Cam suggestions.

Anyways, for the roller rockers. I swapped these in with roller fulvrum and roller tips.. No big difference on my slightly modified motor. I expect these to come into play at ~ 4 or 5k RPMs on up. But not in the low rpms that I run.

However, I would get something better than the stamped steel ones. Somebody at some time did a measurement and found the stamped steelies are off by as much as 1.2 (they should be at 1.5).

Have FUN!

9. gokartergo

I didn't think about the high milage part...Not sure if she as a lot of miles on it..But if you did replace the cam you would have to get new lifters and timing chain.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Naa, At our low rpm roller anything is not needed. The roller stuff from what I have read are for the HIGH RPM crowd, like 8000 and such. Heck my motor rairly sees 5000.
    If your goal is to get more bottom end POWER then you may want to start saving $$$ and think about swapin in a motor built for LOW End TORQUE using parts identified for use in the "From Idel to 5000Rpm" range. I don't have smog to worry about but that should be at the top of you list so you don't run into a massive headach every two years!!
    Lots of options so GOOD LUCK on making a choice.....

11. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

regear that bad boy. that'll put whatever power you do have to the ground that much more efficiently.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey Delta how the hell are ya??
    AND great point!! Doing a gearswap will put the torque to the tires!! But you will lose some hwy speed.....not like we need to go 80 anyway!!

13. delta9blazer

hey bro! long time no type!
    there's a golf tourney next week at sunol. $85 will get ya everything you need to party instead of work.....

14. shewheeler

I've thought about a gear swap in the past, but didn't want to shell out that kind of cash.... oh well, I guess I'll have to rethink this some more/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Thanks everyone for your suggestions... they're most appreciated!

15. gokartergo

For the gear swap I have a guy that will do it on the side..He did mine..He does good work..Dan

16. delta9blazer

it's not as much as you might think, and the benefits would blow the cam purchase away.
    any engine mod is affected by other components. to get the best results, you need to match cam characteristics, with driving type, carb, exhaust, ignition, etc.
    a gear swap is instant gratification, and needn't be assisted by other components.

17. shewheeler

Really??? I got a quote from Rearend Specialites about 2 years ago and it was gonna be around $1500 for 4:10s and an Auburn locker...

Who's the dude?

18. gokartergo

I bought the gears from 4wpw....And I think he charged my $500.00 to do the gears..It did take us most of the day to do them...And I learned a lot helping him...Check into buying the gears..I don't think it was more then $250.00 plus the posi...Dan

19. shewheeler

That's tempting, but a couple questions.

Is it worth it to upgrade a D44 & 12 bolt?

What gears? 4:10s or 4:56? or is it my choice. TH350 tranny -- 35x12.5 tires and no plans to go any bigger

Now I really got a headache/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

20. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

One thing I'll add...
    I work 1 block away from rearend specialties...
    Between my dad and I we have brought axles down there probally 5 times.
    If you get everything you need... Gears, locker or posi, bearing & seal kit... He was charging like $110 for gears and posi setup. That is if you bring the rearend in the back of a truck to him.