Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First time 4 wheeler; Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72K561, Apr 5, 2006.

1. 72K561

72K561 Newbie

I have a stock 72 k5 blazer and this is my first 4x4. Any recommendations on what to do first?

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

how much offroading are you going to do? Do you want to keep the body straight?

3. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

You prolly need to take it out wheeling just the way it is first... Depending on how well it's been maintained in the past will decide what you do first. (IE you may be doing repairs before actually making upgrades). That way you can also get a feel for what direction you would want to head.

4. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

Man this is going ot be one long thread pretty soon.:rolleyes: Anyway, I agree with the test-wheeling. After that comes a lift, tires, axles, etc. It all depends on what you want it to do when you're done. Congrats on your first k5. And it's a first gen too! :waytogo:

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Join a club. Then you can draw on other peoples knowledge. Go wheeling with other people and know what kind of equipment they have. That will give you a better idea of what you want. But mostly go wheeling as often as you can. Don't be afraid to get stuck or be pulled out. If you don't have lots of money and spare parts try to learn how to crawl stuff. Some pretty good stuff under a 72. Remember this sport is a sickness you may have an overwhelming desire soon to spend tons of money on your truck

6. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Check the truck over to make sure there isn't hacked wiring that can leave you stranded or lead to a carBQ. Fix any critical wiring problems first.

If it's a safe truck, go out and play. That will give you the best idea of what to do next. If it has some problems - throw some tools and supplies in case you get stuck, and go out and play.

Take a look at local clubs and the gallery here. There are some really nice built trucks :bow: and some POS's (as in mine). They are all great trucks and a lot of money:doah: I mean fun.:haha:

Welcome to the insanity.:D