Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

first time gear setup...here I go!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wetbackZO, Oct 29, 2006.

1. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

aight people, I am going to do my first differential. I just need to know which tools are essential. I already have a hydraulic press and all the hand tools. Hope harbor freight has all I will need, he he...thanx in advance.:D

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

What he said, and a set of dial or digital calipers is nice for sorting through different shim thicknesses for when/if you need to change backlash, pinion depth, etc.

4. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

great article, thanx...

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

rent a decent dial gauge... dont use hf stuff for something sooo important

6. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

ok, then sears it is...
    so far I got a nice digital caliper...getting there....

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

after you collect your tools, be patient with the install. There is only one right way these things go together, proper setup is crucial to the longevity of the gears. You may have to run patterns till the cows come home but in the end it is worth it because you know it was done right. You might get lucky and only have to run 2 or 3 patterns or you may end up running 7 or 8 patterns until your satisfied with the way the pattern is set. Just remember to read, read, read, and dont be afraid to ask questions on here, theres a couple of guys on here that are invaluable resources when it comes to help for setting up gears. Good luck once you get moving, post pics of your pattern when you think its ready. :thumb:

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Which one of your fleet are you working on (which diff)?

9. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

my only peice of advice on this, because ive only done it a few times myself, is if at all possible, have someone who is experienced with this job at least look over your shoulder. setting up a rear diff is more like tuning a musical instrument rather than just bolting on a cylender head and torquing the bolts correctly. expect to install, test, remove, reshim, and reinstall the whole thing several times before you get it just right.

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Not nearly as hard as everyone makes it sound. The HF dial indicator and magnetic base stand along with a dial caliper, paint marker and some axle bearing grease and you are pretty much good to go. I haven't looked at the Haynes manual to see if it has sufficient instructions for the pattern and such but will check it and see how it sounds if need be I can scan some better general instructions to send you that will help understand how to set the pattern, backlash etc.