Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First time I have seen this kinda mickey mouse set up....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Jul 18, 2002.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Wanna run 56" springs on a rig that had 52"??? all you need is to bolt on another stock shackle and it works,LOL!!!!

A truck my buddy is buying has this on the back, I was like WTF!!!!!

I don't have pics but will try to get some.

They had a 4" block in there and then this shackle piggy packed on it so technicly they only had about a 3" lift. and had 35's on it.

It's a 85 k10 long bed with a crate engine 350 with a sm465-208. it's in way nice shape and he only paid $2550 for it.

and trust me, I will be getting my hands on it,lmao...(evil grin)

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Get some pics! And what other stock shackle?

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Id like to see it too. Kinda sounds like the soft ride shackle that was for sale a few yrs ago. Basicly it was 2 shackles w/ some sort of spring rubber that works as part of the suspension till it locks, then itsis like a regular shackle. It is supposed to soften the ride when your unloaded. They suppesdly use them on buses.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it used two stock rear shackles. The truck is about 2 hours south of here so I casn't get pics til he picks it up on Friday, he has a digital camera so he can get some pics.

The person used it to hual a camper so I'm sure it helped with the ride.

5. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

A few of the Toyota guys over at Pirate4x4 have two shackles in back so they can run 52" Chevy springs. They get crazy articulation with that set up. It works great on the Toys because the second shackle can rest on the frame during compression. I don't know how it would work on a Chevy with the shackle hanger sticking out away from the frame like it does.

6. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

ON THE TRUCKS THEY HAVE THE HOLES PREDRILLED TO MOVE THE SHACKLE MOUNT BACK 4 INCHES TO ACOMIDATE THE 56 INCH SPRINGS. I KNOW MY SUB CAME STOCK WITH THEM. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You're giving me ideas, Flashlight. What if I were to move my perches back the 4" on my K10 and then go with the Springer setup? That would let me run 61" springs... If I remember right, the newer Chevys use 62" springs, I wonder if that would work? Hmmm, this might be a pretty cool, very flexy setup. Although the rear axle would probably end up being relocated a few inches back, I don't know if that would be a huge issue or not. If anyone replies to this and thinks it's a viable idea maybe I'll start a new thread. </font color>

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Shaggy,

I think the loooong GM springs are 64" when measured along the arch. But, I think I remember meausuring some "Dodge" 1/2 tons to be like 61 or 62".

This would be an interesting option. I'd be glad to help you experiment... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Marv

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Great, thanks Marv. Once the 1 ton swap is done (late this year, gotta rebuild the axles first) then I'm going to start revamping the suspension, starting in the rear. I'm going to save this thread and we can revisit this then I suppose. I wish I could do it sooner but any money I spend on the truck now will be coming out of the budget set aside for the 1 ton swap, and I need every penny of it for the buildup. After the swap is done I'll start hiding money from the wife again so I can buy more parts /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif .</font color>

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

There are a bunch of guys here thinking about or doing the IFS 63" rear spring thing. (do a search, it has been talked about quite a bit)

Mine is on a 74 Jimmy.
    Moved the front mount forward and down with the bend in the frame. After much tweaking and fussing, it ended up to be all-most a bolt in deal. Here is a pic of the front mount
    As you can see in the pic, the front hanger was moved forward to the cross member and bolted up, the remaining holes were drilled useing the U shaped hanger as a template. Garanted to be square.

The rear hangers were repositioned back and down originaly, but I didn't like how low the hangers were, so I scrapped them and used a ORD 2.5" shackle flip. I matched the two front holes on the ORD piece to the rear two holes for the stock mount. Again, all-most a bolt on deal and guaranteed to be square. (But it limited drop, so I'm going to move the hanger forward a inch or so)

On the P/U the sadle tanks will be in the way of the front hangers, so you will have to do something aboout that.

On the '81 and up K5s, the frame mounts changed, so what I did will only work for the '73-'80 K5s.

BTW, it's really flexy. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif