Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First Time in a Diff with pics and questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kiqman, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

Ok so I've been getting some binding from the back half of the Blaze when I take off from a stop or when coming to a stop. It's been getting worse for about 2 years. Smooth sailing other than that. Couldn't see anything wrong with the rear springs. It was a deeper clunk than brakes make, and I had lubed my slip joint less than a year ago. I've never changed the Diff fluid so I thought I'd do so and take a look for my problem in the rear while I was at it. But to start I just topped off the diff with fluid and it seemed to make a little difference. Anyway, I still tare off the diff cover and drain the fluid. Pinion looks very good, ring gear looks very good, bearings all seem intact and solid. The only thing I notice is some of the spider gears have chew marks in them - towards their outer edge. This is my first trip inside a diff. Here's my questions:
    1) Is this what I hear called a "Gov-Lock"?
    2) If not, is this just called a "limited slip"?
    3) Do I have to replace these spider gears or just refill the diff?
    4) The drive shaft spins 1.75 times for each wheel rotation which means I have 3.42 gears right?
    5) I run 35" tires 90% in town - any need to change gears?
    6) Any idea how "off" my spedo is with the current combo?

DSC01661.JPG

DSC01662.JPG

DSC01663.JPG

DSC01664.JPG

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

well there is somthing that has passed threw the spiders and chewed them a bit. you can get just a new spider kit and intall it your self.

also thats a open diff . non posi/limited slip or gov-bom unit. just open 1 wheel peel.

we just got a new vendor in the vendor section. thay are called now parts. thay are awsome and have a great rep over in ebay land. thay carry this stuff. or you can chose any 1 of lots of other great vendors for the spider kit.

but i would look for other problems like a bearing cage that came apart or a bearing that has failed. there should be a magnet in there at the bottom with parts on it .

easy fix if nothing else wrong other than spider gears. remove the little bolt in the diff and the cross pin will pop out. this will let you slide the axles in a bit to remove the clips. then all the parts will drop out easy.

good time for axle seals to. as the shafts will be out . and reverse steps to install new kit.

any other questions just ask ck5.:wink1:

3. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

got the number off the ring gear. 11 41 10 87
    So that's a 3.73 made in 1987 correct?

4. sweetk30

correct buddy;) good gear for daily driving.

5. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

I'm going to finish cleaning it out now. I didn't notice any metal when I drained and then sprayed with brake cleaner. Perhaps there's some shrappnel sitting in the bottom, we'll see in a minute. The mating surface of the spider gears is clean and in good shape. It's just the outter edges - like it was caused by some extremly torquy starts.

6. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

Finished cleaning out the diff. Didn't find one flake of metal larger than speck of dust. A shot of diff fluid before I started this almost cured the binding I was haning for two years. Can I assume that all new fluid will give me what I need or am I dumb if I don't replace the spider gears? Again, it's been making this noise for well over two years with only some dust-sized flakes from the spider gears to show for it. If I'm going to spend any dough on this axle I'd like it to be for a complete axle swap. And thanks for the good posts folks.

7. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

And one more thing. Both axle seals show no signs of leakage. Should I replace them anyway?

8. sweetk30

give her a few quarts of oil and run it till it blows. then do the swap. ;)

9. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

That's the plan then. After I get some food in my gut I'm going to seal 'er up and wait for hell or high water. Then it's an axle swap...just have to decide what!

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Leave the seals alone and also just put the diff cover back on and run it until something happens then swap for a 14ff axle. Also 3.73's are a decent gear but you can easily run more gear with 35's and 700R4.

11. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

And I'm only running 33"s so the 3.73 is going to suit me right?

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So did you make a mistake with this statement? :confused:

13. Dukem

Dukem Guest

might want to also check the transmission mount. my sons 90 k5 had a deep clunk sound at take off only. changed the mount and fixed it.

14. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

Opps..yes, it was a mistake. I have 33" BFG's. After I got it all cleaned up I filled it with 75/140 redline gear oil. Took it for a test spin and there's an instant difference. No more binding on takeoff. Now I realize I need to reshoe the rear brakes. They're clunking a bit themselves when I come to a complete stop. It will have to wait till next weekend!

15. sweetk30

16. 86jimbo

86jimbo Registered Member

its a 10 bolt. thats your problem. I tore the crap out of my weak link 10 bolt playing around with 32x12.50s. now i have 1 ton with 37s and Im very satisfied!

17. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

Yes I'd like 3/4 ton running gear under there. When my rear breaks that's the plan. In fact I'm starting to hunt for my 3/4 axles now. I'd like to have them all locked up and ready to go so when my 10-bolt breaks I can have it back on the road in a day or two.