Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First time to take K5 offroad! Need some suggestions????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kihlj, Jun 5, 2002.

1. kihlj

kihlj Registered Member

I am plannning on taking the K5 offroad for the 1st time this summer and wanted some opinions on what improvements should be done to upgrade from stock.

I have a '89 K5 with a 4" lift and 35" Xterrains other than that I am bone stock.

I thought I may be able to prevent some complications if I ask ahead of time.

Thanks for any responses.

Jason

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Tow hooks, recovery straps, shovel, tools, spare parts, and if you can afford it, a locker.

John

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I would wheel with that combo for a while to get a hang of the truck, learn it's limitations etc. Then when you know that you need more clearance over a certain rock, a mud hole that's just too deep for 35's, or more flex for some stuff, we can help you better choose the right upgrades for your K5. Also, what kind of terrain will you be wheelin in? Is this truck your daily driver? If not, the possible upgrades are endless.......

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

besides your normal recovery gear and tools, be sure to take a good, heavy dead blow hammer with you. If you start to rub your fenders, you can use it to flatten sharp edges out of the way. you can always trim after you find out where the contact is, but flattening these impact areas can help keep you from cutting down a tire.

another mod you may want to do efore going that i would HIGHLY recommend is ORD heavy duty shackles for the front and greaseable shackle bolts. They really can increase the feel and performance of the suspension. oh yeah, if you have your swaybar still connected, either remove it or get some ORD swaybar disconnect/correction brackets. You just can't safely wheel with a swaybar attached.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Be easy on the skinny peddle. Your deep into the gray area on the axles with 35's. You might want to see if you can come up with a spare rear axle shaft to keep in the truck as a spare. That way if you break it you got the parts to fix it with you. Fronts you can skip on and get out in 2wd but I would bring a spare set of ball joints. It's not uncommon for a front U-Joint to break and the ball joints be damaged.
    My other concern is the gear ratio of the truck with 35's on it. Turnning 35's with a 700R4 you really need to have 4.56 gears. Without the corrected gear set your putting a LOT of stress on the transmission. A aftermarket cooler for the tranny would be a very good idea if your truck doesn't have the heavy duty cooling package. You might concider putting on a tranny temperatur gage. On my truck I keep an eye on 3 gages. Engine temp, oil pressure and tranny temp. The hell with the rest of the gages. Those are the important one.
    As for what to bring..... http://www.coloradok5.com/packitup.shtml
    I carry a bit much I will admit /forums/images/icons/smile.gif but I try to cover every possible problem I could face when I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

6. kihlj

kihlj Registered Member

Yes this is my daily driver for now. The type of terrain will consist of the lighter stuff and then when I feel the truck is capable of the more technical then I will work my way into it.

tx85gmc let me know how nocona is and what you would recommend before trying to tackle it. I assume that they will have different trails (easy/hard).

since this is a daily driver I am planning on the ORD disconnects. will the HD shackles from ORD give me any lift in the front?

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The ORD shackles are longer and increase maybe 1/2 overall up front, but nothing really noticeable. But, they are incredibly stout. I have some friends going to Nocona this weekend. I am considering next weekend. But, it looks like we are definitely setting up a run to Gilmer the last weekend of this month. Come join us. That was where my rig first left the pavement with its mods. There will be plenty of rigs there then to help if you have problems.

That is one other important thing. especially if you are a "novice", never wheel alone. Where in Dallas are you at?

8. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

I would say that if you have the money get a good WARN winch. It doesnt matter what future mods you do to the truck a good winch will last a long time and wont need upgrading or replacing. A lot of the guys on here that arent in deep mud sware by the 9500. That way if you do find yourself just playing around a little after work or something at least you will be able to help yourself out and not have to mkae a walk out or make one of those 10pm "hey man im stuck" phone calls. Lots of foks say dont wheel alone but if you use your truck for hunting what so ever you will most often be alone.

9. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

I just did my first run to utah with a stock suspension. I was truly amazed on how well my blazer did. However i got hung up alot on the transmission crossmember and the transfercase to the point where the transfer case rests on the underside of the body Doh! Most of it was do to bad lines. If you have a hitch take it off or shorten it. Also i found that gunning it when you are slipping or hung up is the wrong thing to do(got some rocker panel dents because of it. Just backup if you can and try a different line. When it comes down to it though the best thing you can bring is a buddy with a winch and tow straps. My 2 cents

10. kihlj

kihlj Registered Member

I live and work in North Dallas. I work at the Oxy Tower on 635 and the tollway. I know that I have seen your blazer once just down the street behind Lawry's the Prime Rib place. Is that where you work?

11. 73blazerUSMC

73blazerUSMC Registered Member

hey guys your forgetting one main tool needed and thats the HiLift Jack cant repair anything if it sitting on the ground best money i have ever spent dont forget the snatch blocks, snatch straps, clevices, shovels, tool box, and keep a cool head dont get overwelmed easy on the gas and watch that engin temp well there is plenty more i could say but i have to run just my 2c

-scott

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Maybe we should get together for lunch some day. I live in plano but work in North Dallas/Addison. I work for Bombardier Aerospace in the building back behind Lawry's. But, since I don't fit in the parking garage I sometimes have to park in their lot.

13. kihlj

kihlj Registered Member

That would be great. I too have to park outside of the parking garage since I don't fit. I think if I take the top off I will be able to slide under the bar. Send me your email address and I will send you an email so we can do lunch. I am at

jason_kihlberg@oxy.com

Thanks,
    Jason

14. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

If you're gonna see mud/water, take the time and little bit of money to lengthen your vent lines on your tranny and axles. The axles aren't that big of a deal (you can just change the fluid when you get home and a few hours of grime in there won't wreck anything. BUT your tranny is a different issue. I swamped my 700R4 and it hasn't been right since. It was really messed up for a couple days (until the clutch packs "dried" out).

I assume you've also lengthened your brake lines. Make sure you have some play in them or you'll snap one right off when you flex.

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Tow hooks-f&r, a strap, one spare rear axle shaft is a good start. I would also recomend the ORD steering box brace.

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'm right near you too...live in Ricahrdson...we need to get a few people and go wheeling sometime.

17. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue">First rule ! Never drive above your ability ! Take it easy and be concious about safety at ALL times ! Have fun ! </font color>