Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

first time wheeling

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by marcus, Mar 1, 2002.

1. marcus

marcus Registered Member

I have organized a wheelin trip next w/e , first time wheelin' in my Blazer. All the stuff I've done until now has been in a little Daihatsu Rocky, with a manual g/box, so I'm really looking forward to this.

The trip is a half day around tracks in Wiltshire in the UK, lots of mud, some water. The truck has 31 General Grabbers all round. THe rest is completely stock. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or things to look out for while wheeling in a K5?

Thanks

'84 Blazer Silverado, 6.2 Diesel, 700R4

2. possum

possum Registered Member

Big holes. Especially the ones under all the mud. Check the depth with something.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/possum1970>78 K5</a>
    we're not always who we are

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

watch out for that right foot... It can get you in trouble from time to time.... [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/rootbreaker>Pics of buildup</a>78 Chevy 3/4 - 14" on 40"x17x16.5 Ground Hawgs

4. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

5. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

My biggest problem is knowing how wide my K5 is, the trails here in Colorado are mostley very tight. As for mud, remember these blazers are very heavy and they will sink!
    Just make sure you go with another fullsize just incase you get stuck (ive had 2 jeeps pulling me at once that could not get me out of a pit. It took my stepdads fullsize chev. pickup 1 tug to get me unstuck)
    Good luck and have fun!!!

" Wider IS Better!!!"coloradok5.com/gallery/albun51?&page=1

6. marcus

marcus Registered Member

yup,

width is a problem in the UK too...I've made sure that the trial we are following iswid enough....the trail is around Salisbury Plain, which the army use a a training ground, so they can fit tanks down the trails, hopefully the Blazer will fit ;&gt;)

As for pulling me out, my companions are three landrover (most 2.5diesel motors...uh oh!), and Fourtrak with 2.8TurboDiesel and a V8 Toyota...hopefully between them they can pull me out...but I'd just rather not get stuck!

'84 Blazer Silverado, 6.2 Diesel, 700R4

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would be real careful with the body... especially with 31's. Think about your rockers constantly or yours will look like my driver's side one (basically... what rocker?). I smashed that dinking around before my lift on 31's. A lift will give you a bunch more room to keep that body away from lower objects.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

(From personal experience /forums/images/icons/frown.gif )

Don't go charging through any puddles. It makes a neat picture, but so does you in your engine compartment pulling plugs cause you sucked in water.

If you start to spin in the first half of a puddle, back out and don't try to charge back in. Find another approach (i.e, near the edge of the puddle or a go-around).

If you are in a puddle up to the floorboards, you will take in water. Keep that in mind when you pack. Also, if you sit in a puddle like that for any time, you are looking at replacing the fluid in your diffs and maybe your tranny.

Other tips..
    Make sure to take a tow strap and some way to hook it to your truck. Chances are you will get stuck.

In general, just take it easy and you'll be fine.

9. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I second panther, never charge through a puddle without knowing the depth, saw a stock blazer do that and ended up sucking water into his 6.2 and interior...got pics of it somewhere...also never go alone, if you get stuck, it'll be a long lonely walk home (personal exp.)

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

11. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

At least, with two people, there's someone to talk to when you do walk out (done that myself).

I've had water in my interior (and into my tranny from the same puddle) and my engine and neither are fun.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sink my a**. Hold it WFO and you won't sink. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

One thing to consider , from past experience with a stock K5 in mud is that they have a tendency not to go to far, to much weight and not enough traction, the other is to practice on your driving skills in some shallow mud before you turn the pumpkins into shovels....and lastly mud has a habit of chewing up seals and grease in the hubs....replace all the grease with a good marine grade grease, load it up good! After each trip check your fluids in the tcase,diffs and tranny and make sure they're still clean. Make sure your breather tubes are routed up high.....then go have a blast and get everything coated in mud and enjoy...you can always tell a off-roaders house the level of the ground around his driveway gets higher and higher each year.

White Knight ..........Texas Variety

14. sandypants

sandypants 1/2 ton status

hmmm a little bit of an older thread...

15. Stomis

Stomis Professional Amateur Premium Member

Why did you post that....