Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First time..

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Confedneck, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

working on a TBI rig today.. guy at work has an 89 and has been complaining of it stalling at stoplights ever since he put a motor in it.. so while i was doing his front brakes, i pulled the injectors out and cleaned them because he said it was dribbling fuel, not spraying it, he said it looks like its spraying better, but still dies.. it has a new motor, new iac, new tps, new dist.. and gonna toss a FPR and tbi rebuild kit in it tomorrow.. any ideas??

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Map sensor and 02 sensor. Sounds like a Map sensor problem check it and the egr, vac lines, fuel pressure, and fuel filter. How long has it been since its last tune up?
    89 k1500's are the shiznit /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif he have anything done to his?

3. Confedneck

he bought the truck, drove it home and the motor seized, spun 1 and 2 rod bearings, put a brand new gm crate motor in, buttoned it up...has new fuel filter cuz the tank had rust in it i guess.. im just getting involved this week after being sick of hearing that nobody else can fix it..so anyways i told him to get a freakin MAP sensor for it.. he told me it doesnt have one.. anyways, it also dies when he puts it into gear sometimes if its warmed up..

its bone stock, 2 tone brown, reg cab short bed 4wd auto
    i think it runs out pretty good though..

4. Confedneck

and the EGR is disconnected..

5. k5fd89

k5fd89 Hold my beer..watch this! Premium Member

My 89 was stalling out all the time replaced the TPS backed the timing down around 200 at idle and have not had a problem since.

6. Confedneck

backed the timing down to what??

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

200 duh, you know the ignition fires when the piston reaches the bottom of the stroke.... Check vaccum lines first. My 95 kept stalling at stops and I found a disconnect vaccum line. Also is the crate motor he put in specifically for a TBI setup?

8. k5fd89

k5fd89 Hold my beer..watch this! Premium Member

I not sure what the time is at it has been a couple months since I did it. But the TPS was my real problem.
    Mine would just cut off at a stop sign or going down the road. The check engine would kick on the the motor would shut off.

9. Confedneck

hes not even driving it anymore, his wife bought him a harley for his birthday lol..

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

How kind of her, umm heres the obvious thing you probably thought of but, check the codes man.

11. Confedneck

no codes apparently, one of the other guys at work tinkers with it when he has time..he wants to sell it for the 5200 he has in it and i offered him 4k he wouldnt take it.. trucks not that nice..

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I hate people that think they can get what they put into something. I built a 355 for my K5, its nice and cost me 2k in machine work and all, if I pull that motor and sell it I wouldn't ask more than say $500.