Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

first tornado of the year

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big83chevy4x4, Jun 5, 2005.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the power was flickering on and off, the we heard what sounded like a train. looked out side and the trees were moving and falling. then the siren went off, we ran down stairs till it stopped. then went up to see th damage. a bit tree branch fell on our garage, no damage. a huge tree fell infront of a neighbors house just bearly missing their porch. a tree fell across a road on a car of a girl i know, no damage that i seen after they cleaned it up. lots of debris every where. we followed the debris trail north east to see what happened. got home and 5 minites later another one went threw. it knocked more trees and power lines down. we just got our cable back, so no TV, internet or phone.

the first one went directly over our house, and the second went over our neighbors house. luckly neither lasted very long or touched down. the town is mostly cleaned up with the power and cable company still working. i wish i could have gotten pics.

2. big83chevy4x4

and the power goes off for 10 seconds again. gotta reset all the clocks for the 3rd time.:mad1:

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I live close enough to the Black Hills that they don't touch down here. Can't say I miss them either. Been through some pretty bad ones in my time.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Do you have your own siren in your house. Or is it a comunity siren? I supose it warns you about tornados?

5. big83chevy4x4

its a comunity siren, you can hear it up to like 3 miles away in no wind. they test it every day at 6pm except for sunday. but it goes off for tornados and fires.

i read the paper today and it said there were two tornados that touched down in saginaw county, about 40 miles north east of here. not too far from where Luke, (Blue85) lives.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow that'd be scary! Have you experienced many tornados in the past?
    If they test the siren every night, how do you know when it is actually a warning?

7. big83chevy4x4

because when they test it, its only for 1 second, when it goes off to warn you, its like 10 seconds or so, plus it was sunday and they dont do it on sunday.

ive experienced a few tornados before, it wasn't that bad. kida pissed me off because i needed to work on my truck.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oooh I understand now.
    Freaky, the only thing we have to worry about up here is snow I gues...

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Man I miss those things , not the actual tornado , just the huddling in the basement with everybody :D

10. big83chevy4x4

we need more tornados around here, i miss chasing them with my buddies :grin:

[yells to buddy] "SOMEONE GO STRAP THE COWS AND HORSES TO THE BARN"[/yells to buddy]

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Storm chasing can be alot of fun. I've got a couple of friends back in Nebraska and Iowa that do that. Only thing I didn't like was the hail. Always thought it was going too take the windshield out.

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

we had one trying to form down the block from me TJ. they had the siren on for the first time in ten years.so i ran outside and got a little sand blasted.i saw the clouds under the big cloud spinning a little.too much crap around here to get one started.they test the sirens here on the first saturday of every month.at 12 or 1.00 PM depending where you are in the city. :grin: