Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First Vehicle... *pictures*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys you all have been great with helping me out with any and all questions that I have had (whether you knew it or not, I read on here daily).
    The opportunity has come up to purchase a vehicle that will be a work in progress but it has a great start and will allow me to work on some mechanical and cosmetic issues but not worry about whether or not it'll run in the morning.
    A local guy has a truck for sale and before I describe it to you keep in mind that this is going to be my "play" truck, as in cruise around town, drive to Pismo and Oceano dunes, drive to school, etc. It's not going to be an all out trail rig (that comes later).
    Ok here we go, it's a
    1985 Chevy 1500 standard cab
    He has a 9" Superlift all leaf spring lift on it, no blocks
    38.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws
    Freshly rebuilt (15,000 miles) 350 by a local shop that I know of personally, it runs and idles great
    the only down side is that it still has the 10 bolt axle and stock gearing, my dad and I were worried about this but the guy selling it is great and tossed us the keys and let us go for a drive, the steering was tight and you were definately in control of the truck and you didn't feel as if it was throwing you down the road, it had plenty of guts and shifted smoothly; didn't feel like the stock gears were causing the engine to lug down.
    So, I'm going to get the truck because for the price its worth the wheels, tires, engine and super clean body (no rust anywhere) but I just wanted to share it with you guys since you always have good suggestions.
    Thanks

-Avery

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  2. Avery4jc

Hmmm, anyone w/ suggestions with what to look out for?

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check the frame for cracks. I'd be willing to bet that it at least has some cracks near the steering box. Check the rear passenger upper shock mount area also for cracks.

4. Avery4jc

I'll check it all over again before I make the purchase, I spent about 30 minutes looking the truck over on my hands and knees before we got to drive it and I didn't notice any cracks, something like that would have stood out at me especially because the truck was pretty clean. The two spots that you mentioned; is that the most common spots that crack or are you just throwing them out there?

Thanks...

-Avery

5. Avery4jc

Hmm, I've been doing some serious reading on the subject of axles (since the 10 bolts will die eventually) and it looks like guys that run where I'll be (street, sand, dirt trails and mud, no rocks, heavy loamy stuff) are able to survive with the 10 bolts as long as my right shoe doesn't acquire some lead.
    I'm going to regret asking this because everyone is going to come on and say go 14bff but what do you think?

6. Avery4jc

Well guys its official, we just got off the phone w/ him and it's a done deal. I get to go and pick it up on Wednesday (tomorrow)!
    This is great, my first vehicle, and the best part is I'm buying it, no mom and dad funds here.
    I'll post up some pictures when I get it and let you guys have a look.

-Avery

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha: Don't be fooled by the silence, the spiders are waiting for the new meat to tangle in the WEB:laugh:
    This is also ttt

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm excited for ya dude!!! :woot:

You know you're required by law, to post photos as soon as possible!!! :deal:

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sounds like a decent rig... I'd get a ff14b even for a DD though if you plan on running 38s. All axles will break, but at least with the ff14b your tire/wheel won't come flying off your rig...

j

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha: Young guy came to a local Car Cruise with a brand new GTO (red) with out-o-state plates. Parked, made sure no wrappers on the floor, gym bag in the trunk, etc.; started to walk away to check out the scene. I approached and told him "ya know ya gotta raise the hood on that thing so we can all see that Vette motor". He said "Uh? Oh, yea, I didn't know." He was there for about two hours being polite, listening to people tell him about their cars.:haha:
    I'm a bad boy. :o

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

:D:haha: thats just mean!

12. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a nice truck to me. Little bit tall for trails, but I am sure you knew you would hear that too. Yeah for the price I'd throw a 14BFF in there too. You should be able to find one pretty easy around here. For the time being just change the front end over to 8 lug, or maybe you can find a 3/4 ton combo with some better gears for a good price. Oh yeah pics:D

13. Avery4jc

Don't worry guys, I'll post some pictures asap.
    I will be on the hunt for a 14 bolt (hint, hint, keep your eyes open in this area), if I find one I'll snag it up and throw it in the rear, I'm also researching what gears to put in it but for now all I'm worried about is getting it here.

-Avery

14. Avery4jc

Well guys and gals I don't have long (homework is calling) but I thought that you all might appreciate some pictures!
    I'll get detailed shots for you all soon but I'm tired and its dark out.

-Avery

Picture 036.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  15. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

nice truck dude. looks nice. a little too clean tho - you need to put down your school books and go get dirty.

16. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sweet buy man. I have a feeling your about to enter a world you never new existed.

17. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

That a real clean buy, there....cool stuff!!! Yeah...I remember the clean days.....

I'd agree with the 14 bolt. Those big tires, it's good to have peace of mind. Don't worry about changing the front to a Dana 60. You don't need that unless you are doing some very rough riding.

18. Avery4jc

Thanks guys...
    Well I knew it was there, it was only sleeping for my family. My dad grew up on a dairy farm in Texas and his whole side of the family had 4X4's and went wheelin'. Once he married my mom he had to back way off but I'm here to wake it all up again!

-Avery

19. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Right on:saweet: :saweet:

Nice looking truck.

20. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I love that ****-eating grin :)

Congrats dude.