Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fish Bait

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ryan B., Apr 15, 2003.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What kind of fish bait do you all use?

What kind of fish are you after?

I've knocked em dead using live crickets and a bobber about 3' leader - Brown's Brook's and Rainbow's love em.
    Sometimes a weight and threading a worm on a hook then puffing him up full of air so it'll float off the bottom, or even use marshmellows.
    I like fishing with flies that i've tied myself on streams for trout. Either with a bobber, or on my fly rod. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Artifical lures that i've had good luck with:
    Recently a 3lb. 22" bass on a rooster tail spinner /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif !
    I've always done good with Spoons like krockadiles, and daredevile's which are hard to get now. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Even downrigging with those are good.

I've found if you're after planter rainbows they like yellow powerbait... We caught some right after a place was planted and when we gutted them we found yellow pellets the fish hatchery would feed them... So yellow powerbait was the trick. The dumb ones would go for other colors also. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i use what you catch for bait /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif right now we are using smelt in late may and june we use whole shad here are a few pics of what i fish for /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Ryan B.

Dang!!!

Those are GREAT, are those your Pic's?!
    Now I'm gonna have to scan some old pic's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. mudhog

those are just some off the net but i can dig through my old pics and if i can get my scanner to work i can scan some of mine the biggest one i have caught was 14'9" /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif my dad just got one sunday that was just short of 16' /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Are they good eating?

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

shark? what's the name of that fish? NM sturgeon

7. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    Are they good eating?

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes they are very good eating they are white meet and have no bones /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif it is considered the poor mans lobster /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

greenbacks do a good job for redfish,and snook then a good lovelure for some spotted sea trout,this is in the gulf of mexico

9. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

for redfish i either use live mullet or cut bait. or i'll not be a lazy fisherman and go wading with spoons, poopers, and mirro lure. great for redfish. for speckled trout i use live shrimp on the bottom freeline or a cork with about 3 feet of leader. if i don't use bait i'll use various soft lures. for shark i'll use cut up whiting, croakers, anything with alot of blood. gulf of mexico is full of great fish to go for. now i wanna go fishing. lol. later.

jacob

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm old fation, I use nightcrawlers (worms). I fish the streams up here more for sport, so it doesn't matter what kind of fish I pull out. ................. Anyone see the "King Of The Hill" episode where Hank got arrested for dope ??? He was using crack-cocaine for fish bate. Made me wonder how it'd work./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ............... Anyone ever been pond fishin' with a old crank phone ??? Drop the wires in the water and start cranking the handle, it really does work !!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Hell's canyon sounds familiar where is that???

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hell's canyon sounds familiar where is that???

[/ QUOTE ]
    Idaho ain't it?

When I was a kid, it was all about the fishing. Sometimes after school, we'd head to the lake (30 miles) for awhile. Catfish and Bass. For the catfish, it was all about what size we were going for. Sometimes stink bait, minnows, or perch that we catch and cut up. I never was big on catching catfish, they don't have any fight in them, but dang they are great eating.

Never was big on bass, but my biggest catch was a striper on Lake Powell right up against the dam (oh the olden days). Speaking of Lake Powell, I've gotten to fish on both sides of the dam. The Colorado River at this point, refered to as Lee's Ferry (named after John Lee who was a Mormon who was involved in the Mountain Meadows massacre, lots of history around the place). Sports Afield called this place one of the hot spots back in '82, preceded to wreck the fishing. When I began fishing here, there was some regulations, but not too bad. I never did any good here. A lot of skill is needed here cause fishing off the bank sucks and if your out on a boat, besides the fishing, you've got a boat going at speed down the river and you don't want to flip, the water runs about 54 degrees in the summer time.

The Gunnison, Colorado Area. We always used corn and salmon eggs on the Lake Fork of the Gunnison and the Gunnison River itself. We very rarely hit Blue Mesa lake, but we sometimes ran up to Monarch Pass, and Big Blue; a bunch of beaver ponds.

My dad has a place up in the mountains of New Mexico, sits on Eagle Nest lake. Last time I fished was here back in '98. fishing was horrible. There's some rivers around, but really want to hit Goose Lake, which I talked about in a previous post.

I only consider myself in it for trout these days. I love chowing on some rainbow, but brown trout tastes better.

13. Ryan B.

Yeah trout is where it's at. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah trout is where it's at.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Trout, I feel pound for pound out of all the fish I've caught puts up the best fight, plus the mature ones you have to work at snagging them.

15. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I fish for largemouth bass, I usually use a Rebel lure bumblebug(topwater bumblebee), a Grasshopper lure(topwater) or a chugbug popper. I have also had good luck with a Rapala rattle trap.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyone ever been pond fishin' with a old crank phone ??? Drop the wires in the water and start cranking the handle, it really does work !!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Paul, Yes it does work, it is called telephoning and if caught here in Oklahoma it costs you your truck and all your fishing equipment. But a .44 mag has the same affect, /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif fire it in to the water at close range and all the fish float to the top stunned, pick what you want and the rest recover and swim off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

What the heck is it called again, what those backwoods boys in downstate OK do? Where they stick their hand down into the water and catch those huge catfish by sticking their arm down the catfish itself?

17. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Bubba,
    It's called noodleing, I have seen some guys pull some big a$$ catfish up that way. Not me, I am not real hot on the idea of sticking my hand in the mouth of a fish to be bitten. Plus I have seen some monster water mocassins(cottonmouth) around here too, hole and a 50/50 shot of fish or snake. Nope count me out.

18. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use hot dogs. Put about 3oz. of weight right near the hook on some Spiderwire, open the reel and let that sucker fly about 50 yards out into the lake. Let sit. Tie pole to boat with favorite rope. When said pole bends in half, you just might have something.

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    It's called noodleing,

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's it. I have the same qualms as you do, but the part of OK I'm from, people don't have to worry about water moccasins. Most people are just content with throwing a line in the water.

20. Ryan B.

[ QUOTE ]
    It's called noodleing

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahah
    That's great. I've never heard of that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif