Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fish Plate Frame Reinforcement

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by landsmasher, May 30, 2002.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Recently helped to install the Fish Plate Re-in on a friend's blazer. Once installed and tested we noticed that there seemed to be a lot of flexing going on with the steering box. We also installed the steering brace. So is this something that is supposed to happen? It doesn't look like the frame itself is flexing, just the box...

The thing didnt seem to fit well and this is on a 91 blazer. There was also a fix done earlier with just V grooving the cracks and then welding them and also a plate put on the top. Do you think that maybe the bolts will come loose all the time if there is a space between the plate and the frame where the bolts are?

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

There should be no space between the frame and the repair plate, if there is, it will cause some problems like you describe. If this is the case, take the box off and clamp the two together, maybe with some bolts? then heat the repair kit up to let them come together and stay that way. You could drill a couple small holes around on it to spot weld the two to hold them clamped also. This should help out.

3. landsmasher

OK Something is wrong then. One thing is that a previous welding and rein was done before this fish plate fix. Also I wonder if the frame is different on a later model Blazer? Like is it flat? I'm going to go over there and look at it again. Will let you know what I find. I noticed that My Blazer (78) has the exact same form as your Fish Plate. So I bet my fix works out better...

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

hey , i had to suck mine together with bolts and smash the crap out of it with a large hammer read sledge haha

5. landsmasher

I think that's the trick. At least mine has no previous welds there so we'll see how well it fits first.