Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fish tank, fresh or salt water set up?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 55Willy, Feb 29, 2004.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I have a 30 gallon show tank and was wondering when I get it over to Boise, should I keep it fresh water or switch over to salt set up?

whats the pro's an con's of each

I'm looking at fish options, visual appeal, ease of maintainence.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you want ease of maintanence and to save some $, dont go saltwater...

j

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

keep it fresh and put mollies, tetras and guppies in it. all are colorfull and hardy as long as the water is initaily set up right.

just needs to be soft water with a PH of about 7 or so. then as you change the water you can slowly use tap water with dechlorinator in it.
    hardy fish and nice to look at.
    lots of color options.
    30 show is a nice tank. but small for salt water. salt water you should be no smaller than 50 gallons for the fact that it makes it a lot easier to maintain. and is very costly.
    Grant

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

keep ot fresh. believe it or not, the smaller the tank, the harder it is to maintain with salt water. plus salt water setups get expensive. i wont try it again until i can afford a good live coral reef to filtrate it.

5. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Keep it fresh. Too much $$$ for salt water equipment, chemicals, filtration, etc. Marine fish are $$$ too. I'd rather replace a $1.50 tetra than a $45 clown fish! Salt water is cool, but a lot of work IMHO. Mine are all fresh.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Fresh water with a tank that small. Saltwater can get to be an expensive RPITA to maintain.

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

SALT, SALT, SALT. I ran a salt tank for many years with very little trouble. The fish are MUCH more colorful and the expense is minimal once your setup. The key is filtration. I ran a 60 gallon setup with two filters(the ones that hand on rim) on each side. Also run the under gravel as well.

I heard all the negatives...expense, difficult, etc but found none of these to be true. Since popularity has expanded, cost are way down on equipment and fish.

The most important thing is to quarantine any fish immediately if they hint of any disease(visually or in action).

As for the small tank theory, my brother had a couple of clown fish in a 10 gallon for a long time with no problems.
    Just don't overcrowd and your good to go.

I kept 4 fish in my 60 gallon...a trigger, two clowns and a blue tang. All lived without problems because of the space allowed. Obviously the trigger was smaller than the others though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like everyone else said I would go fresh. Salt tanks are really cool to look at but a PITA. I had a few different fresh tanks and my favorite fish was a red tale galla shark. The red tale glows in the dark. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Go fresh and get about 10 pacus.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifJust ask Shannon, I'm sure he'd back me on that... [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

I have fresh because its much easier to clean.The stains that salt water leaves is real hard to clean.And if the fish splash like mine do the water gets on a wall or something and it will stain that too ive seen it, it gets nasty. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

you know you want to go salt. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif If you fail at it you
    fail.

Again, it is not a pita or too much trouble. Of course this is without having live corals....thats a whole other world /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

The beauty of the tank all lit up with all the colors only saltwater fish can offer is stunning. Find a fresh water fish that matches or beats a clown fish... /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

well, as for the small tank theory, you are right. if you KNOW what you are doing then it can EASILY be done. for a beginner with salt water then its not a good idea. i used to clean fish tanks for a living. and set them up. i have had both fresh and salt from 20 gallons(5 on fresh) all the way up to 85 gallons. i allso used to maintain a couple of 400 gallon tanks. when set up right you can have it so you have to do little more than maintain the filters and glean the glass.

little tanks are tourble for salt water if you are a beginner.
    its a fact. some people even have problems with 50 gallon tanks as salt. but thats because they dont listen to what you tell them when it comes to taking care of it.
    Grant

13. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but thats because they dont listen to what you tell them when it comes to taking care of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That about sums it up. I see it as working on a K5...most of us are pretty good at fixing things even though we have no experience with it. Same thing goes with anything else in life. If you can work on a k5, you can figure out a salt tank /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

get fresh and just put a lot of little fish so they school up. i have tiger barbs and lots of mollys some of mine had babies. i have a catfish and some 10 inch plecostomous in a 10 gal and 20 gat haxagon tank.

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

After speaking with the local pet store, I'm staying with fresh. I use to have a Bala shark in this tank about 2 yrs ago, he was about 7" long when he died.

16. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

i just finnished setting up my tank today, my parents office had a 60 gallon plexyglass tank with a built in filtration system, i built a tand and canope, and it looks awsome
    i stocked it up with alot of live plant and non agressive fish. my brother had a 185 gallon salt water fish, and he had a fun time with it, but he had alot of work to set it up and get it running, and it was very expensive. so far i have under 150 into my tank and it looks awsome, maybe ill post a pic later on once i set the lights up on the canopy.

17. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I just set up a 55 gallon a week or so ago.
    I like just about any fish in the cichlid family, particuly Oscars.
    I dropped 2 in that tank.