Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fitness gurus, read and help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I don't get it... Here's the story:

I need to cut about 2 minutes off my mile run if I ever want to be promoted in CAP again, and and get more than a 5 on the sit and reach, and bust out about 10-15 more pushups...

I have the pushups now, I think I can pass that part of the test when the time comes. The situps have never been a problem for me. However, I've been doing all of this training at home before work, or after if I work a morning shift. I run a mile on the treadmill, do as many pushups as I can, as many situps as I can, and do the sit and reach.

Here are my scores from the last time I did the PFT (about 3 weeks ago):

Mile: 8:20
    Situps: 53
    Sit and Reach: 5
    Pushups: 15

And here are my scores from last time and this time at home (Friday and about 10 minutes ago):

Mile: 11:15, 11:01
    Situps: 28, 33
    Sit and Reach: 0, 0
    Pushups: 24, 30

And here are the scores that I need to get to pass (scores are based on the President's Challenge thing):

MALE, 17+
    Mile: 6:50
    Situps: 46 (in 1 minute)
    Pushups: 42 (in 1 minute)
    Sit and Reach: 34

The thing I'm most concerned about is the mile. I think I can say I haven't been stretching out properly which I assume is why I can't even reach the darn ruler for the sit and reach. The pushups and situps, I don't know... The mile though, I don't get. When I run on the track for the PFT, it's nearly 3 minutes FASTER than here at home on the treadmill. Both of those times from home were at a steady pace of 5.5 mph, a little faster (at least it feels like it) than at the track.

Anyone know what the heck is going on, and how I can IMPROVE my scores by working out at home, rather than do disgustingly worse? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

aerobic running is the only way you are going to increase your mile time. Run the treadmill and around the block just about every day. Biking is another good one. As for Sit and Reach I can't help, never been any good with that. As for your situps/pushups, are you just not trying sometimes or what? I used to do pushups every night before I went to sleep and each night I increased by 5, whenever I stopped I was up to about 60, can't say that was in a minute but I wasn't shooting for a time table.

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Yeah... if I pushed myself more I could probably make the pushups and situps... I've just been timing a minute lately and seeing how many I can do... maybe next time I'll just do as many as I can and eventually squeeze it all into a minute... that mile thing.... yeah.... that's just crazy wack if you will... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Don't go by the time on the treadmill. For some reason you actually run farther than what it says. Stick with a track and a stop watch when you need to check out times. Treadmills are good for when the weather's bad and you need to run, just not good for accurate time.

As for the sit-n-reach. What stretches are you doing? and for how long?

When are you doing the push-ups and situps? Before or after your run?

What type of push-ups are you doing? You should do a variety.
    Do these in addition to regular
    wide
    triceps
    dive bombers

If you have access to a beach start running there. When running in sand try to step in existing footprints if there are any. Also, it is essential to change your stride to more of a shuffle and dig your toes into the sand. This will work your calves more than normal pavement running.
    If you can only run on pavement or hard-packed dirt then make sure you have heel-toe contact. Your foot should strike the surface with the heel of your foot and should roll foward across the ball and push off the ground with your toes.

A good way to check your stride is the audible test. If you can hear your feet hitting the ground, you are probably running flat-footed and need to open your stride. If you don't you could get some shin splints or stress factures.

Next, check your breathing. It should feel like a yawn. If you take rapid, shallow breaths you create carbon-dioxide build-up, increae your heart rate and encourage muscle cramps. Deep breaths get more oxygen to your muscles, get rid of carbon-dioxide etc.

Another tip is to relax your upper body. If your fist and your face are clenched then that's just wasted energy.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I just figured out that your in WY. I guess there aren't many beaches around.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif....but if ya can find some sand.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Drink about a gallon of water a day, rise out your system. Try to stay away from cokes or pop cans...what ever you may call them. Also, after you run do a long cool down period, strecth a lot to work out and lactic acid build up in your muscles. Lactic Acid is what kills you in your endurance to keep going and its harder for your muscles to recover after doing areobic like that.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I always found and was told when running breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth. Slow breath in and out is important as was said.

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

As for stretches... I've been focusing mainly on legs... I've only been spending about 5 minutes... would 10-15 minutes be better? Doing more stretches, etc?

there's the order I do things in: stretch, run, pushups, situps, sit and rech, then stretch a bit again...

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I stay away from caffeine for the last year and 4 months... I drink a soda maybe once every couple weeks if that when I go out to eat or to a movie... Otherwise it's orange juice and water... I've been trying to eat better too, but I've found that's becoming one of the hardest habits I've tried to get into /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I always found and was told when running breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth. Slow breath in and out is important as was said.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've found that it varies person to person. Some people perform better with the in-nose/out-mouth way, some don't. I like just breathing out of my mouth, I can get way more air through my mouth then through my nose. But I think as long as your not taking short, rapid breathes then you should be fine.

Drinking a gallon of water is also very helpful, but you must be careful. If you are not used to drinking a lot of water per day then you have to work your way up to a gallon. If you don't you could actually drown. This is espcially true for people with heart problems.

Another thing is to get plenty of sleep... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I do about 10-12 leg stretches daily. I do most for about 30 seconds and two I do for 1 minute.

I asked about when you do your pushups/situps because when you want to improve your cardio, you do that first and vice versa... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

So....... stretch longer... do situps and pushups first... THEN run? sounds good... I need to go get me a stopwatch or something... the only track I can think of that I have access to without a gym membership or the hassle of getting on the Air Force base is the park across town... I think I'll start going out there since the weather's been nice...

13. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

So....... stretch longer... do situps and pushups first... THEN run? sounds good... I need to go get me a stopwatch or something... the only track I can think of that I have access to without a gym membership or the hassle of getting on the Air Force base is the park across town... I think I'll start going out there since the weather's been nice...

I think it's 1 and 1/4 mile with different workout stations... mostly asphalt and cement, but there's a small sand beach I could run on also until they open the lake up for swimming...

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So....... stretch longer... do situps and pushups first... THEN run?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No, run first, since you need to improve cardio. Then do the pushups/situps since those aren't your main problem. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Alrighty... that sounds like a plan /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Forgot about the stretchin part...

Do light stretches before the workout, then stretch for about 15 minutes after the workout. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Watch the diet- meat acutally tends to slow you down for running- I did my best times when I was acutally eating very little red meat. I tried the met-rx plan (its not a slim fast type, nor is it a pure protein type, its kinda like a semi supliment/replacement). I was surprised by the acutal amount of food intake- almost 4-5 shakes a day, coupled with fruits, breads, and lean meat. I was literally stuffed everyday. however, after maybe 2-3 days, i felt a lot stronger- repetitive weight sets were done easier, especially at the exhaustion point when the lactose is starting to build up. Recovery was also faster. the met-rx stuff doesnt use any ATP or other artificial methods to boost (like ephedryne, or ma hwang powder, etc etc).

For running, shoe fitment is important- so if your running shoes arent fitting right, or the arch isnt right, fix it!

What else- Oh yeah, hydration- You shouldnt need to feel too thirsty after your run- if you are, your not hydrating enough-. Cut out sodium (as well as caffeine). This has to be done early though- you cant just do it " the week of". If you have your cup or two of coffee a day, dont stop it, your body will complain.

Pulse watch- if you arent taking your pulse, you should- I forget the calculation, you should formulate to workout at 85-90% of your heart rate zone-. this will provide for maximum training without too much bad side effects. I think for you it would be somewhere around 172-180.

Resting pulse- lower resting pulses = better cardio condition.

running position- You can acutally increase your running speeds by running on the ball of your foot, but it doesnt work for everybody.

18. CammoK5

CammoK5 Registered Member

When you do your situps do you prop your feet under something? If so dont. When you do you use your leg muscles to assist you in your sit up. That can tire your legs and hurt you in your run time. Practice sit ups with nothing holding your feet down and try to keep them flat on the ground. That way your using your abs for the sit ups and not your legs. Should help your run some if you are proping your feet now.
    When you streach, streach everything from head to toe. Start from the top and work down. When your done exercising do the same streaches but from the bottom up for your cool down.
    Do your push ups and sit ups first. Then your run.
    That's how we do it in the Army. It made a good differance once I started doing things this way over how I did it before (in no perticular order).

19. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

one th9ing ive always done is never stretch before warming up. maybe jog afor a minute or two before you begin your stretching, it also raises your heartbeat. a great thing to eat before doing cardio is cheese, there is alot of energy supplied wth cheese.