Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fitting 35s on an '84 Silverado

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hillbillyblue, Apr 6, 2005.

1. hillbillyblue

hillbillyblue Newbie

Ok, Im sure this has got to be one of the most commonly asked questions but Im fairly new to this so... what do I need to fit 35" x14.5 tyres to my STOCK 84"? I already have the truck and have just bought the tyres on 8" wheels. I have read some other posts that seem to suggest a 4" suspension lift is the minimum. Which kit is best? Skyjacker, BDS..etc? Does the rear lift need to be greater than the front to stop the tail sagging (e.g 6" at the rear, 4" at the front)? I understand there is an option to use a shackle flip kit on the rear to gain height (2" lift spring +4" shackle flip?) - better than blocks? Also what, if anything, needs to be done to steering geometry with these tyres? Does the standard 3.05 gearing need to be changed to prevent sluggish acceleration?

Lots of Questions, I know, but basically I would like to know if anyone can reccomend a quality kit that does it ALL? I am using the Silverado mostly for road use but I would like it to be capable should the need arise? Anyone done this swap?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

3.05 gearing ? where do you get that from lol that doesnt even exist

if its a k-5 or k-10 thjen it wil be 2.73 or 3.08 or 3.42 or 3.73

first two way more common than the last two

how much flex do you expect ? if alot then you may rub with 35's but 35 is not a huge tire for a stock chevy 4x4, see it around here with no lift now and then, works fine unless you go too wide

good luck

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Sort of kind of. I currently run 35x12.50 on 8 inch rims and had to trim the front fenders a little. Got enough sheet metal off to max out on a ramp in about the neighborhood of what stock suspension maxes out at without any fender rubbing. As for a 14.5" wide tire on stock suspension, I would think massive hacking of sheet metal would have to occur before you could run them. My tires just about fit into the wheel well.

3.07????????????????

Umm, yeah you definately need new gearing. I run 3.73 right now and the only thing that saves me from getting run over by a turtle on the highway is the massive horsepower coming out of my wildly, overbuilt stock, 167K mile 350. As for what gear to go to, it's open for discussion. Some say 4.56, some say 4.88. I'm personally going 4.88. I may enjoy having the extra grunt and I may move up another tire size in the future.

4. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:
    Wildly, overbuilt, and stock don't belong in the same sentence together... were you joking or what?

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Of course. I do have to say that the engine still runs pretty damn good for being almost 20 years and that many miles.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My 35/12.50-16.5's rubbed my uncut fenders with 9" of lift when flexing, and my truck doesn't flex a lot..