Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fitting 42s, Firewall bashing with BFH, how much to start?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, Feb 19, 2005.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

How far in did you bash in the firewall so they don't rub under full compression? I'm running 6" springs (sagged to maybe 4-1/2 or 5"), 1/2" longer shackles, front spring mount in factory location, 3" extended bumpstops, and the axle is forward 1". Just curious on how far I should hammer to begin with.

I'll do testing at the local yocal rockpile (In my buddy Tye's front yard) to test for rubbage when the time comes.

Thanks!

(Yes, I'm a redneck:rotfl: )

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

wow.. 6" lift and 42's!

my truck is running 6" in front plus 2" extra long shackles and I hit the cab during flex... no extended bumpstops.... I thought about bashing in the cab too...
    [​IMG]

but instead I am going to take my truck off road and flex it.. then see where it hits the cab.... cut out the firewall if possible... part of it and then fab up a firewall part that will go into the cab... so peoples feet will rest on it but hey can stuff the meats in there... can only do this on the passenger side... dunno what to do on the drivers though!!!! :frown1:

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

4" BDS, axle moved 2" forward, and with 4.125 b.s. 15" rims, I had to trip the fender nut off and beat the pinch weld flat. I then drove the "point" (you'll know it when you see it) back about 1.5-2". It was very close, but good enough. I did however "caress" the shock and the steering box, but not the springs.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Yep, that's already been done.

That's the section I needed to know about. I'll start around 2" and see what it gets me. Thanks for the info Russ.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Here you can see the final results. Not real clear, but may help some. As you can see, there is no rubber on the fire wall, and that was just before the axle went forward again, so that's about what yours will look like for clearance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

You already got them on:grin: i need pictures. i miss them already:(