Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fitting 42's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by denver75k5, Mar 31, 2002.

1. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Fitting 42\'s

Ok, what do I have to do to fit 42's on my rig?
    It has a 4"suspention lift, and a 2" body lift
    I know ill have to do a lot of trimmin, but what about the tubs?
    will i have to remove the fronts?
    Also are there any other issues I will have to deal with?

Thanks
    TJ.........

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Fitting 42\'s

The tires hitting the firewall might be a problem...

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if it were me, i would go with a 3" body lift just to get a little more clearance, then start cuttin', go as far back as you can without hitting the tub, and see where you're at. try some 1" zero rate add-a-leaves too. just my .2 cents

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

The ORD Jimmy runs about 7 inches of lift with those 42's. He just did alot of fender trimming. I would just take a sawzall to it. I don't think you will rub your inner fenders.

5. lax037

lax037 Registered Member

I ran 42's with only a 4" lift
    no prob on hitting the tub, although i did have to remove the inner fenders, and my tires were a little on the bald side
    So with the body lift I don't know. Every truck is different

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm running 44's with 8 inches of suspension lift and no body. I cut the fenders pretty good. You should try the ORD zero rates if you don't mind lifting the rear another inch to match. Otherwise, try moving your centering pins forward an inch or two. This works best if you have crossover steering, but your stock setup will probably handle one inch.

7. denver75k5

My main concern is the front inner fender wells, I really dont want to remove them, Also what offset on the rim do you guys suggest?

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

then i don't think it could be done (not to my liking anyway)

I have 39.5's on my K5 with 6" suspension and I hogged the HELL outta my fenders and it doesn't look like I have the clearence if I get REALLY stuffed up. No inner fenders and 8" of lift would do it for you, possibly.

*edit* i mean ANYTHING is POSSIBLE, but within the peramiters you are discribing, it sounds hard to stuff them in.

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

31" Sears Road Handlers are in your future!!

10. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

I have fit 42"s with 4" lift and no body lift. With no body lift, you are going to hit the cab right below the steering shaft. With a 2" body lift, you might make it. The inners will still work, but you will need to cut out the fenders EXTENSIVELY. Think about cutting up to the body line at the middle of the fender. In order to keep the inner fender, I had to place it back up inside the fender well and hit with a 3 lb sledge to form it to fit. Then I installed the threaded clips inside what was left of the fender and bolted the inner in.

I would recommend moving the axle forward 1" and trimming the radiator support if the body lift does not offer enough clearance.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I can't really say about the back (I just took off the bed) but I'm running 42s with a 4" BDS front lift and a modified "Springer" rear. IMO, there is pretty much no way your going to run 42s on a 4+2 lift without modifying the firewall and removing (or heavily modifying) the inner fenders. To make my setup work in the front, I had to remove the inners, cut off the inner fender tab/nut on the fire wall, fold over the pinch weld, and drive the firewall back about 2-3” at the point closest to the tire. Even with that it is close. I’m also in the process of moving the axle 2” forward so that I get some breathing room. Right now they don’t rub (even without the axle moved) but when I free up some front flex, I’ll need the extra room. Another 42” on 4” truck (actually a Sub) here is “Titanic”. He also had some heavy tub/fender/firewall mods (don’t remember the details) plus an axle moved 2” forward.

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I have always wondered, how does one go about moving the axel forward? New springs? what all is involved??

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

There are several possible ways. New springs with a different hole location, moving spring hangers, using offset plates, redrilling springs (I don't like that), or even just redrilling perches and plates for small amounts. I’m using a set of offset plates similar to the ORD plates but I wanted (needed) a full 2” offset. That also results in mine being a bit longer than ORDs to stabilize the area around the spring pin that far offset.

Moving the front axle forward by any significant amount will require steering changes (cross over) due to shortening the drag link. You’ll also likely need drive shaft adjustments. There are also other variables like changes in angle due to moving along the spring arch and changes in travel/angle due to the change radius from the axle to the fixed eye. Generally this will be pretty negligible unless you do something like I’m doing in the back where the axle moves by just over 5 inches relative to the spring eye, 20” relative to wheel base.

14. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I think you're gonna have to move the axle forward if you don't want to beat in the front of the cab. I'm still rubbing a bit with my 39.5s, not bad though, and mine flexes fairly well. Inner fenderwells will have to be reworked/custom, I just tossed mine. Out here we don't get that much mud, its really not too bad.

Pete

15. denver75k5

LOL!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Ya, Steve you know I heard those where a good trail tire......
    But really from everyones input i think 38-39.5's are in the future, possibly when I get the dough to do it rite then mabey 42's , but thanks everyone for the input!

c-ya
    TJ..........

16. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I think that you can leave the inner fenders. If it become necessary, tub them like in this month's Peterson's 4Wheel and Off Road. They put 42's on a Ramcharger. Wheel offset depends on what front end you are running. I would suggest 2 1/2" backspaced wheels to allow 15" wheels on a D60 front. The added offset also gives you more room to turn before you hit the inner fenders. It also swings the tires in a wider arc and will let the outer lugs hit the fenders rather than tucking up into them.

17. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I'm running 39.5 TSLs with seriously cut front fenders and about 8" of overall lift. My front axle is moved 2" forward. The tires don't touch when its fully flexed out and I retained my inner fender wells because I play a lot in the mud. I plan on going to 42s when my 39.5s finally wear out. 79Beast successfully runs his 44s with the 8" lift, and they will only rub a little under extreme articulation. He also has his inner fender wells intact. I love the idea of minimal lift with big tires.

Will

18. OldBlew

OldBlew Registered Member

I like the tub job they did on the rear fenders....

19. BADASSBLAZE

BADASSBLAZE Registered Member

Another thing you could do for rear tire clearance is replace your stock rear wheelwells with a pair of Steel Wheeltubs designed for drag racers. The latest issue of Petersen's 4 Wheel & Offroad has an article on it.

20. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Also are there any other issues I will have to deal with?

<hr></blockquote>
    Yes. Are you still 1/2 ton running gear?

That's the first thing I would fix before going way up in size on tires. Ask our two members of the PNWFS4x4 club that broke Dana 44's on our first run..........both had 38's.