Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fitting a decent sound system in a s-10?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jekbrown, Sep 9, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im gonna swap a s-10 reg cab body onto my K5 frame. In this s-10 body, I'd like to have a decent little audio system... nothing that is going to win comps or rattle my teeth out, but something that has a little bass to it and generally sounds good.

question: how do you s-10 owners fit a decent sound system in your rig? a canopy + stuff in the bed or whatever isnt an option, the rear end of my rig is gonna be open and all tube steel. It might be possible to enclose some amps out there, maybe. At any rate, Im basically looking to see what other people have done to compensate for the s-10s generally small interior... solutions others have found to get good sound in such a small area. Any related info would be greatly appreciated, TIA, /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

3. jekbrown

wow cool, thanks for the link!! I dunno if I'd be interested in putting subs in the doors or not... i do want my windows to work, and I will also prolly be removing my doors when I wheel.. and I'd rather not have any wires to mess around with when I do that kinda thing. If I could devise a way to make it easy to quick disconnect the speakers, the doors might be a viable place to mount some 6x9s or something. Some of the other stuff he did was really cool, I totally dig his custom kick panels, those turned out really nice! My dash is going to be 100% custom, so there ought to be room there to fit some speakers, head unit etc.

I think the main problem will be fitting the sub(s) somewhere. Not much room to work with at all. We have a LOT of car stereo theives where i live, so something that I could remove easily and keep in my pad would be kinda cool. I was thinking maybe a bazooka RS10a-hp. Its only 10.5" thick or so, so I could probably mount it somewhere between the seats or behind the passanger seat. I don't think Ive heard a zooka sub in atleast 5 years (sorta been out of the car stereo buying game)... any1 have an opinion on this particular model? Like i was saying in my other post, Im not looking for reference quality audio, just a decent little system I can fit in a tiny truck. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I had a regular cab ranger that had two 8's in it. They sounded great in the truck, but outside it just sounded like some 6x9's. Depending on how much bass you are wanting /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif , I would personally go with 10's. No more than two in wedge style truck boxes. That seems to work very well. You should be able to find some that you will, if at all, loose minimal leg room (1 or 2 clicks). As for brand, go with what sounds good to you and consider what the subs will see as far as the elements are conserned.

Kris

5. jekbrown

good point on the elements... this is a hardcore wheelin rig... water splashing into the cab (prolly will run tube doors or none at all offroad) is entirely possible. Waterproofing the subs enclosure is no biggie, i can always line-x it or something... but what about the subs cone itself? Do they make marine speakers to be used on boats that are more water resistant? I dont plan on trying to run these under water (i never listen to tunes while i wheel), but if they get a little splash I dont want them to go to crap either! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

j

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I think they make marine speakers. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I would think that any sub with a cone made of anything other than paper would work though. Both Sonic Electronix and MMXpress carry a bunch of different subs, amps, door speakers, etc. Very good pricing too. Might want to check there. Makes chain stores and stereo shops seem extremely expensive.

Kris

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i just fit 2 12" MTX's in my reg cab K3500. the box goes from one side of my cage to the other. its a really tight fit and i think i may end up porting the box...not so sure yet...but they hit hard and sound nice

NITRO

8. jekbrown

thanks for the links! if I put something in the doors (highly likely they will get wet at some point, if not from water crossings than from leaky window seals)... i might try something like these...

marine JBLs

or maybe somethin like these...

zooka marine speakers

i hate rust/corrosion in the worst way... maybe these would be good for cutsom kick panels or doors..

j

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Those are only 8W6s theyre probably just there for mids...ive seen people put subs in their doors before and ive installed 12s in the doors of a del sol and an eclips before so I know it can be done...if youre doing custom enclosures or door panels you can put anything in it

Later

10. jekbrown

yeah, the more I think about it the more I think door mounting isnt going to be an option. Im gonna do some extreme boatsiding of this rig... which means that everything below the window cranking mech will be cut off and capped.. not much room for speakers then. Besides, I dont want wires running to my doors cause they just get in the way of swapping tube doors on/off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Guess all that leaves me with is custom kick panels...the dash... and behind the seats.

j

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Depending on how you are mounting your seats, it might be possible to build boxes under your seats...ive seen it done in heeps before...just two tens in boxes, one under each seat...

something to think about

Later

12. jekbrown

theres a good idea, only problem i could forsee there is that if they faced upwards they could turn into bowls full of water during a water crossing. lol!!

j

13. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

true enough...but with enough ground clearance the only way that would happen is if youre crossing the atlantic

Later

14. jekbrown

haha! i hear ya. tricky designing a system that will be going in an almost trail-only rig tho... mud, water etc arent exactly good for speakers. thanks for the ideas though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j