Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fitting TSL 42's on a K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blk87K5, Dec 30, 2001.

1. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

fitting TSL 42\'s on a K5

What would be involved in fitting 42x15x16.5s on a K5 with a 6" susp. & 1" body? I realize there will be major trimming, and I will probably have to lose the inner fender liners. How hard is it to make custom inner fender liners? I had also planned on moving the axle forward 1". What problems will I run into? I want to run these tires, but I also want to know all of the little problems that might arise.

'87 K-5 w/ 350 TBI, 700r-4, Atlas II, D60 & 14Bolt, 6" susp., 1" ORD body, 35" Claws

2. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

Re: fitting TSL 42\'s on a K5

you should post this on the ORD board. Stephen runs 42's with about 7" of suspension lift. The inner fenders will have to go, the seams on the tub will probably have to be pounded flat, and maybe some mods to the core support. I think that will get you started, check with Stephen though. Jon

Blazin' Trails ORD Style

3. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. What mods. need to be made to the core support?

'87 K-5 w/ 350 TBI, 700r-4, Atlas II, D60 & 14Bolt, 6" susp., 1" ORD body, 35" Claws

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think you'll have to move the axle ahead more than 1" to keep it from rubbing the firewall too badly. The core support would need clearancing...
    Check the ORD site and have a good look at how much fender was trimmed from Stephen's truck, notice the custom "1/2 marker lights"? As far as I know the rear axle was moved rearwards as well, Four Wheeler published Stephen's actual wheelbase as 110" so he gained 3 1/2" overall between the front and rear.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I noticed the marker lights, but how do you do that?

6. tRustyK5

Beats me...it does show how far the fender is trimmed though. I guess if the light was carefully cut a small piece of plastic could be glued on the now open end...
    Myself I'd use the early style markers that are vertical and move them forward.

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I want to do this as well, but only with a 4-5" lift. Let me know what you find out because I am trying to keep up with my jeep buddies and they are running a minimum of 35s and most are running 38.5s with on running 42s.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to hit the steering box with the tire at some point? With the suspension compressed and steering turned to the right?

1981 K20 350/400/208/205 D60fARB & 14bFFDETROIT 4.10 (UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!)

9. tRustyK5

I don't think so...the steering box is near the center line of the tire.

Rene

10. muddevils

muddevils Registered Member

i did this very thing on my 73 k5 shuved 42's under it with a 3" body lift and a 3" suspension. i took the inner fenders out and trimmed all the way to the back of the side makers(i didn't cut the markers) and at the bottom front i went straight from the opening around the front to that pan under the front turn signals. at the back of the opening i just started at the top of the original opening and curved back to the bottom following the firewall. i did grind any sharp edges and bolt heads in either wheel opening but once it was all done you really didn't notice all of the hacking that was done. the rear ones were easy. only cut about 4" front and back of tire. Good Luck and Play Hard.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'd ask Stephen about his wheelbase...I dunno if I trust Fourwheeler all that much...in one of the newer issues, they do call that one chevy's front end a corp 12-bolt...and they did it twice, so that aint no typo. Sad thing is, you can look at the pics and count 10 bolts. =\ Guess thats what happens when a bunch of j33p freaks wright stories about a chev. BTW, wonder how often that guy breaks his front end? He IS running 44x16.5 boggers...I know he mainly does muddin...but still...

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

He IS running 44x16.5 boggers...I know he mainly does muddin...but still...

<hr></blockquote>

...Must be one of Tim's friends. [​IMG]

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

13. tRustyK5

The wheelbase figure was from the RTI portion of the TTC event. Those numbers would be as accurate as can be.

Rene

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well, the #s being right for the TTC and the numbers being printed correctly are 2 different things. =p Fourwheeler is a good mag, I just thought it was purdy iffy how they couldn't even seem to ID a front-axel...especially since all that requires is the ability to count to 10!!! ;)

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you notice, most of the feature vehicle stories are written by non-editorial staff. They're submitted by freelancers, who mostly just write down what the owner says about the vehicle, then try to liven it up a bit with journalistic license. [​IMG] So if the owner told 'em it has a 12-bolt front, then that's what went into the article. Many of those folks are writers first and motorheads second, so they may not know enough about a particular vehicle to refute the owners statements. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Probably. :) My friend went muddin' last weekend. The one that actually breaks his front axle all the time. BBC and 39.5" Boggers and his D44 held up! My other friend with 44s and a tired SBC has never broken his front axle. Now that he's got a front driveshaft that won't break, we'll just see what happens.

BTW, D60 on the way for the BBC truck. It has broken enough times for him to give up on fixing the D44 (even though he gets the parts for free).

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles