Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fitting your TALL K5 through your garage door ?'s?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Nov 24, 2004.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Fitting your TALL K5 through your garage door ?\'s?\'s

Here's the deal. I've got a 4" lift and 36's now. If I take my light bar off, I can drive into my garage and clear by about 2"s. Well I'm going to do a major overhaul from basically the ground up. Here is my dilemma, I'm going to put on an 8" suspension lift and a 1" body lift in the build up. I figured I'll flatten the tires and roll it out when I'm done, but the lift I have now is sagging so much that its only lifting the truck about 2" if I'm lucky and I only have 2" of clearance now.......

Stop, my brain is overloading with everthing I wanna do and such.

Anybody else do a build up or whatever and had success moving their K5 in and out of the garage with 8"+ of lift? I'm also going to cut off as much weight as I can during the buildup.

Bring it on....

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Fitting your TALL K5 through your garage door ?\'s?\'s

Just a thought. You may need too get some wheel dollies. Roll it out side on the dollies and then bolt your tire/rims on.

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I thought of the same, if your driveway is downhill just make sure that you can stop the thing when you roll it out, you wont have any brakes like that.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get yourself a pair of ghetto tires. Either use the tires like I do, or if it's still too big, take the tires off and roll outside on the rims.

My friends have trucks so big that they have to leave the garage on the brakes!

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just a thought. You may need too get some wheel dollies. Roll it out side on the dollies and then bolt your tire/rims on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thought about that too, but I have a big slope that may put my K5 into the neighbors kitchen. Doh.

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get yourself a pair of ghetto tires. Either use the tires like I do, or if it's still too big, take the tires off and roll outside on the rims.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the idea with flattening the tires, to keep the rims from tearing up the concrete. I would like to find some donuts, but I don't think that will lower it as much as flattening the tires.

Keep it coming guys.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the idea with flattening the tires, to keep the rims from tearing up the concrete. I would like to find some donuts, but I don't think that will lower it as much as flattening the tires.

Keep it coming guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ever have to push your rig, you'll appreciate small rolling stock to flat tires, ask me how i know.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What about the ghetto rims in a 16 inch , them some bald take offs from a used tire store in a low profile off a late model fwd Chevy . I was looking at my wifes 225/60/r16's and think those may work or even smaller off a jap car or something like a 205/55/r16 or smaller /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

When I met my wife, she drove a Ford Festiva. That sucker rolled around on 12"s stock. Was thinking about finding some and drilling them out for my 1tons.

10. blaznjon

blaznjon 1/2 ton status

My garage is probably lower then yours is,flat roof.I`m running 6"in front and shackle flip in rear and2.5" in the rear.I run 2002 hd wheels with 195 50 16" tires to get in and out of the garage.There about 24" tall.The hd wheels baraly clear the tie rod ends in the front,lots of inset.But they clear the calipers on my 44 eight lug,14ff disc conversion.Sorry my spelling sucks.This might work for you too.JB

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have 9" of lift with 38.5's and there is enough room to stand on my roof when pulling into my garage /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have 9" of lift with 38.5's and there is enough room to stand on my roof when pulling into my garage /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thats neat dude!

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Thats called a shop with a roll up door. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif J/K. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. rjfguitar

I can't fit into a standard garage anymore either after I went 10" on 35's. I could just barely when I was 6" and 33's. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I miss it because I used to pull my K5 into the garage on stormy days and wrench on it out of the weather. Now it's basically and out door dwelling vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'm got 8 inches of lift and 3 inches body lift, on 36 inch tires.
    gettin in the 8ft garage was an exercise in futility! I had to take the tires off to get it even close, it still rubbed the cab on thegarage door when I dragged it in on the brake drums, using a 8 ton come along /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm got 8 inches of lift and 3 inches body lift, on 36 inch tires.

[/ QUOTE ] You've got 11" on 36's? Cool! I want pics. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i got 9 inches f lift and 35's on my blazer and i knew it wasnt going into my garage. i went out and got a cheapo car canopy from harbor freight and wraped in in a big tarp. but the wind blew it into my backyard before i had time to secure it properly so i have to modify and rebuild. heres the one i got http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40544 fits my blazer perfectly. id like it alittle wider but it works. when i get it back up i have to figure out houw to heat it. just an idea.

18. rjfguitar

That is a good idea with the canopy. Our problem is here at the ranch all we have is a 1 car garage and a 2 car quancet hut. The garage has the ATV's in it and one spot in the quancet hut has our snowmobiles, the second spot is full of commercial truck tires( our tire stock for the trucks). We have six vehicles (burb, dually 1, dually 2, D/CTD, K5, F600 service truck) and all of our farm equipment inlcuding combines, tractors, discs, backhoe, and trailers. All of which are outside in the weather. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I hope we are going to build a shop for all the equipment and hopefully there will be room for a couple of the vehicles and a place to work out of the weather finally. I think I am going to build a lean two off the side of the garage for both my CTD and K5. Basically....we have too much stuff and not enough space. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

19. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i here yea. we have 5 cars(2 are mine, 2my dads,1 my moms) and we have less then half an acre. it SUCKS. my dads 78 t/a is on one side of the house and my blazer is on the other. my burb is across the street in my neighbors empty lot, my dads truck and my moms van are in the driveway and pretty soon my brother will have a car. i thought about a lean to type shelter but we would need permits and crap since its close to the neighbors.

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    i here yea. we have 5 cars(2 are mine, 2my dads,1 my moms) and we have less then half an acre. it SUCKS. my dads 78 t/a is on one side of the house and my blazer is on the other. my burb is across the street in my neighbors empty lot, my dads truck and my moms van are in the driveway and pretty soon my brother will have a car. i thought about a lean to type shelter but we would need permits and crap since its close to the neighbors.

[/ QUOTE ] You need permits on a half acre? My house, barn, quancet hut, and garage is on about 2 acres with all the equipment stuffed in on the 2 acres. I remember when we only had 3 vehicles, my K5 was still short enough to fit in the garage, ATV's hadn't been bought yet, and we would all fight for the one spot in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif