Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fix for leaking slipyoke??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Jun 25, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The slipyoke on my NP208 is leaking where the yoke joins the tube. As a temp fix, I was thinking of mixing up some JB Weld and dumping it into the tube. Of course I would clean it as much as possible first and keep it vertical while it dried. Anybody think this is a bad idea?? Keep in mind it's temporary, because I need a new yoke anyway.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

ASIDE FROM IT NEEDING TO BE SANDED UNIFORMLY I DONT KNOW JB WELDS POROSITY. IT MIGHT LEAK EVEN MORE THAN A FAULTY SEAL. I SEE WHERE YOUR COMING FROM THOUGH, MY SLIP YOKE WAS WORN IN AN EXTREMELY WEIRD WAY, FLAT ON ONE SIDE NORMAL ON THE OTHER. SORT OF ELIPTICAL I GUESS. I'D JUST THROW A NEW SEAL ON AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

CREEPIN AND CRAWLIN
    JIM

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I read somewhere that some very thick gear grease can be a very good sealant. Get some good thick grease and put it around the seal. The idea is that is will be thick enough to cling, but still seal and let the yoke turn. I've never tried it, but have seen some cases where I washed and scraped a bunch of old grease and crud off and area and it started leaking.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

4. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

sorry i didn't get back with you on this matter before. the driveshaft shop we used to have here is gone. called a few tranny shops and they all recommended replacement. i didn't have enough time on my hands to search the boneyards, so i went with the jb weld. so far so good. cleaned the inside up really good with xylene (just bedlined the interior, so i had a bunch left) took a dowel and taped coarse sandpaper to the end and roughed up the bottom of the yoke. i stood the yoke and driveshaft up vertical (taped it to the workbench). whipped up about 1/2 of the tubes of jb weld and pored it in. be careful to keep it off the splines at the top of the yoke. it harded enough to put back together in about 4 hours. like i said, so far so good. good luck with yours.

EODBRIAN

5. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

I think that I might be able to help here. First off how old is your seal. If it is a new seal and it"s still leaking, try installing another seal but this time don"t push the seal all the way in, keep it back about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. What has happened here is the seal has woren some very fine lines on the slip yoke, so fine that sometimes you cant even feel them with your finger nail, but it"s enough for the oil to gradually ooze out. Also make sure you are using a double lip and not a single lip seal. Make sure it goes in stright and DON"T use JB Weld. Hope this helps.

Don McKinney

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

NEVER MIND MY PREVIOUS POST I THOUGHT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT THE SEAL LEAKING. IVE NEVER HAD A LEAK IN THAT SPOT SO I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE YOUR COMING FROM

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help, guys. EODBRIAN is familiar with my problem, and he did what I was thinking of for a temp fix.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

8. B75k5

B75k5 Registered Member

Check with your Chev dealer.....there is bulletins for slip yoke clunks and loss of grease. Updated grease comes in a can, part No 12345879, I have started using it about a year ago and no more skip yoke clunk and less grease loss. There is also a bulletin for updated gasket for slip yokes....I replaced mine about 6 months ago and no lose of grease yet. I can't remember part number. The next fix would be to replace.
    Harry, Escondido, Ca