Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fix for screw hole in roof

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mini_mull, Feb 17, 2005.

1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I was putting in a new headliner today and had everything out (bare metal inside on roof), then had to go pick up my niece from school, anyways, it started raining and we noticed that the last time someone replaced the headliner they used a screw that was too long and went through the crossbar and the roof panel. We could see daylight through the roof! I'm going to have the roof rack and other stuff taken off and holes filled before painting this summer, but need to do something to fix it until then. What's the best way to fill a hole the size of a screw so I won't end up with a wet new headliner and rust? BTW it will have to endure the first half of the AZ summer so anything that melts is out of the picture, or will have to be replaced come hot summer. Oh, and I don't have access to a welder or the know-how to use it. Please help. Thanks.

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i was goping to say welder. lol

how about jb weld?

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Maybe some clear silicone for now?

To be honest, the only way to "really" fix it is to weld it shut and grind it down prior to painting.

4. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

What's a jb weld? Any specific kind of silicon? Could I just keep reapplying the silicone for 4-6 months until I get the body and paint work done? Would silicon melt in the sun? Thanks for replying so quickly. I appreciate the help. This headliner is more of a headache than I bargained for thanks to the moon roof making the front half impossible to have a one piece headliner board. Of course, there always has to be something to complicate every project.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you're planing on taking the truck in for paint/bodywork within 6 months, silicone will be fine. Just go to the hardware store and tell the counter guy that you need a clear exterior silicone. It's the same stuff you use to seal doors and windows from the outside, so no, it won't melt.

If you apply it properly you should only have to do it once.

6. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

go to your local autoparts store and ask them for rubber push in plugs, I use them on a lot of project, just dab some silicone on the tip and when you push it in it will seal. then when you wanna fill it perm. pull prep paint!

7. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Put a screw in it with a little silicone or caulking....

Or get a screw with a rubber grommet like we use to put sheeting on buildings , no leaks