Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fix for tailgate cracks??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bone85K5, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I am not sure if this has been posted before, either way here goes. What are the most common fixes (beside removal and swaps) for the tailgate cracks you get at the top corners of the tailgate? I found a pic of what I am talkign about..thanks to the CK5 member I borrowed this pic from

http://home.attbi.com/~anatomiczero/images/crack_tailgate.jpg

Ben
    85,90,90K5
    91,95 Suburban

2. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Weld`em, use some #18 steel on the inside to reinforce the weld!!! Make sure it is not warped across the top, straighten before welding!!!

3. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinking. Its actually at the welding shop right now getting some things done. I just wasnt sure if I told them to "fix the cracks" or "Weld it" if they would know exactly what to do. Thanks, now I know :)

Ben
    85,90,90K5
    91,95 Suburban

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Make sure you drill a hole at the end of the crack before you weld it up or it will come back. The drill a couple of holes around the crack so you can plug weld to the 18 gauge you are putting under it

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

5. Speed8379

Speed8379 Registered Member

i had the same problem with a tailgate that i was fixing for a friend. all i did was weld the top and tried to fiberglass the other side from the inside, i havent had a problem yet. be sure to get rid of all the rust in the crack or it will come back.

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I think it's slamming your tailgate is what causes that. They aren't as strong as a pickup tailgate.

<font color=red>Stupid people shouldn't tell other stupid people how not to be stupid</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>